Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rev'en
    And what does this prove?
    It is very much possible to make a Kick but game with C# and it isn't to slow or not equipped to make modern day games, and is just as viable as C++ for a performance language when it comes to games.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    It is very much possible to make a Kick but game with C# and it isn't to slow or not equipped to make modern day games, and is just as viable as C++ for a performance language when it comes to games.
    Well, you couldn't possible tell if it was slow and/or performing as good, worse or better than a C++ written game. A steady framerate of 60 means nothing, on a game like that. It didn't seem to have that much to calculate.

However I can't prove that it is worse than C++. I'm not saying it is not suited, or that it can't be as fast. I just don't really see the proof here that it should be as fast. (not that we need a proof anyway)

But, it sure as hell does state that games can be made with XNA. But I don't really think anyone would doubt that
    I didn't mean to do it.

Quito, Ecuador (A small country in South America)
    Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    No there were doubters if i remember right there were comments like

"XNA is good for hobbiests but will never be able to make something like UE3"

Apparenly it can because that is just a start.
    You seriously are so microsoft biased its annoying at times...Do you have proof that XNA will be a complete success and become the main platform for games to be developed on? NOOOOOOOOOOO

Can I tell you that its gonna fluke and no one is gonna use it....NOOOOOOOOO

There is no way to predict it. It all depends on how the community reacts (And so far there is ton of support which is great) And it also depends on how development companies react and decide to use it.

Will it be ported to UE3? Who knows, will UE 3.5 or 4 be done in XNA Build? Who knows. It really is early in the game to tell what role in the game dev industry XNA will play.

Its just extremely annoying you are 100% blinded by Microsoft, you can never be wrong and it gets annoying. On every thread I make a comment you always refute my post, or anyone's who doesnt agree with you and its quite annoying. People have opinions and you or me are not the ultimate truth.

Like I said i dont know whats gonna happen with XNA, I for one am gonna employ and enjoy it. I already got XNA Express Beta 2 installed and I am perhaps gonna get an Xbox360 this Xmas, mainly motivated by Gears of War...And mostly by XNA, its an incredible proposition to be able to code games for a console, and for this price which is fantastic. Plus I never doubted the power of XNA...Its the same thing as making a game just with a different approach and a different framework. I dont think microsoft meant XNA Express to be something that allows people to code simple 2D/arcade games on it. Im pretty sure with time and throught 2007, we will see many many games done in 3D. Specially with the Torque Engine being ported to XNA and C#.

I think that for XNA to really become massively accepted it should broaden the languages you can use it with. C# is excellent but others might prefer Visual Basic, C++, C or even Java.

Knowing microsoft however, they wont do this but thats fine I guess.

So truly, i dont think it sucks or is gonna suck, but I also dont know how it will do nor do I care, developers will continue to develop how they do, and those who see XNA fit for their pipeline will implement it...Those who cant due to budget, time or whatever then they wont. Im sure many great games will come out with XNA Build and also XNA Express from the community.

So for now its back to reading and coding and perhaps having a lot of fun with XNA in the near future

EDIT: The Whole debate about C++ being faster or C# being faster is getting Old...C# has advantages over C++ and C++ has advantages over C#. I believe C++ will continue to be a mainstream language for many years but C# could become the most dominant one in a while, who knows. Plus I dont understand why people Worry about having to determine which is faster or not. No games that are the quality of Gears of War, Unreal 2007 or Half Life 2 will come out of XNA...WAIT BEFOR EI GET FLAMED....By hobbiest and small groups...Its impossible for me to code an engine and make a game with such rich art direction, creativity and assets. Now if say some company makes use of the XNA Express framework or better yet XNA Build...Then it is possible to have Triple A titles made on it.

So for all I know we, the simple home users of XNA and hobbysts shouldnt worry about speed because our games will most likely never reach a point that we need to squeeze every ounce of processing power. Plus a lot of people can program, but not all are good at determining slow downs or overhead, and not all are good programmers (meaning that they make efficient, clean and fast code).

ON A SIDE NOT. I didnt mean to bash or flame at %20...As a matter of Fact I have a question for you because I know you are so familiar with XNA you perhaps know.

Since XNA is letting us code a game for the Xbox360...Can I, using the XNA Framework...Use the 3 processor cores separately for different tasks on different threads? Kind alike Kojima san is doing for Metal Gear Solid 4 on the PS3...Physics on one core, Graphics on the GPU, AI on another Core, The rest on the 3rd core for example.

If You can do that then im running to get an Xbox360 tomorrow! LOL Because this much power has never been given to us regular citizens.

Ohh and I know i might have been a bit doubtful about XNA...Truth is i was neither right nor wrong. We still dont know how it will be used in the future. But truly why should we or I care. As long as its available to us, thats all we need to be concerned and happy about

Thanks in advance for whoever answers my question.
    Last edited by airjordan12345; 11-12-2006 at 02:26 AM.

Cool they released it to the public. Michael Klucher the XNA Program Manager showed XNA Racer to my University last week at our Technology Forum we have every semester. It looked pretty good and ran smooth. He named off some features they were using like real-time shadowing and some others that I don't remember.

Here is a link to his blog if any of you care to read it.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/mklucher/
    Last edited by Grinch78; 11-12-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Amazing Game.

But Lot of people at the forum can create game like this

I like XNA. I can see it have many potential uses. For example, it is become a recurring theme of seeing job requirements including the need for console programming experience. Unless you are part of a company there is not a practical, or legal, way to get your hands on a development kit to practice on.

I recently attended an Electronic Arts recruitment presentation which highly recommended looking into XNA just for the sheer experience value of programming for a console.

Will people use C# and XNA to make games? Of course they will. It is an industry where time is more important than money and any tools or languages that can speed up development will always be added to development processes. C#, for one, is what many of studios' tools are being created with. So even if C# and XNA isn't being used for the main product it has huge advantages for rapid tool development where it is not a requirement that the tools need to be cross platform.

The only reason companies may choose not to incorporate XNA is because it is not natively cross platform. With video game sales dropping, due to illegal downloads, it is become more important to develop for a wide variety of platforms. This is the only issue when it comes to XNA and C#.
    Last edited by MrGoldfish; 11-12-2006 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGoldfish
    I recently attended an Electronic Arts recruitment presentation which highly recommended looking into XNA just for the sheer experience value of programming for a console.
    Where do you attend to that? I know I can't participate since I live in Denmark, but it is nice to know such things anyway.

The only reason companies may choose not to incorporate XNA is because it is not natively cross platform. With video game sales dropping, due to illegal downloads, it is become more important to develop for a wide variety of platforms.
    I just wish more companies would think of that. Just another reason I've always loved ID sofware.

rev'en
    I didn't mean to do it.

Where do you attend to that? I know I can't participate since I live in Denmark, but it is nice to know such things anyway.
    They came to my university here in Guildford. EA are moving some of their offices nearby so the uni is trying to create a better connection between them and EA. It was a pretty interesting presentation. They went into all aspect of production i.e. Graphics, Audio, Tools etc. It was mostly a programmer presentation as well which was nice.

They say the best way to get a job is to have a really good demo that show your talents in the area you're interested in.

They came to my university here in Guildford. EA are moving some of their offices nearby so the uni is trying to create a better connection between them and EA. It was a pretty interesting presentation. They went into all aspect of production i.e. Graphics, Audio, Tools etc. It was mostly a programmer presentation as well which was nice.

They say the best way to get a job is to have a really good demo that show your talents in the area you're interested in.
    And how do you show your talent in low-level algorithms and pure engine design?

EDIT: Thanks for the info.
    I didn't mean to do it.

And how do you show your talent in low-level algorithms and pure engine design?
    perhaps by designing an engine that uses the techniques that you are good at coding and producing a tech demo? one of the ways that levelord told me was the best way for a coder to get noticed was to code a mod for an existing engine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast