Energy around weapons

Okay, i've modeled I sword for my mod but I want to have a sort of glow or thick laser around the blade. If any of you have ever seen phantasy star online I'm kind of looking for that look where the blade is actually like a thick laser going around a metal base. Anyone know if this is possible in UT? And if so do I model the part that is the laser and assign a color or something to it or is it something I do in the game?

Ryan

That should be doable, you just need to figure how you do the effect. Bsically, you do it wit htools that engine provides (particles perhaps? perhaps light?) and attach it to model. Details of 'how ti' I do not know.

V

vee,
    Level Designer

Cool, thanks. That's all I wanted to know. I knew there was a particle system I could mess with but I didn't want to model or not model this stuff then get into the game and have wasted my time. Thanks again.

Ryan

Smile

If you use particles, what you'd be doing within the Ued environment is setting a NOTIFY that uses a definable location on the sword (maybe a bone origin) from which to spawn the effect.

I'd suggest that a shader is a simpler solution for what you're attempting. You'd just model a shell around your blade, with a different material ID to the rest of the weapon, then apply some kind of masked (alphaed) shader that is fullbright, meaning it's self-illuminating.

As for exactly how you'd go about doing either of these things, I couldn't say yet, but information is sure to come flooding out from the modding community.

In the meantime... http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content/WebHome/

there is something like what you want in the

there is something like what you want to do in the unreal 4 ever mod, you can get it here. after you have it installed you can open the packages in unrealed by first editing the unrealtournament.ini file,"adding EditPackages="mods .u files" to the end of the [Editor.EditorEngine] section. after all of that just search it over mainly the mesh browser and actor parts...

in theory it should work but i haven't tried to do it so i'm not to sure

Oops i forgot to add, what i posted above is just for unreal tournament but understanding how it is done will help you figure out how to do it in 2k3. seeing as they are both the same engine just different builds