Talking Animation for new characters

Brief intro:

Hi all,
    I've been a professional feature aninimator for over 18 years and I moved into 3D 5 years ago. I've enjoyed playing Unreal tournament with my friends for the past couple of years and I see some real opportunities in making new characters for UT2003. I have a few questions that I hope someone here can answer:

Will the new Unreal Editor allow the artist to use the full capabilities of the Karma physics on thier characters? Will I be able to export the character animation files from Maya but have Karma handle the parts with overlap, like tails, cloth sections or soft body parts? (like a feather in a cap)

Does Karma need to be coded into a model of can it be applied visually. I have an unnatural fear of coding!!!!

Thanks.

Well im not too sure but no one posted yet so i will try to help you.

To use the full capabilities of the karma i think you will need to be able to code. But i dont think it will be TOO hard.

Will I be able to export the character animation files from Maya but have Karma handle the parts with overlap, like tails, cloth sections or soft body parts? (like a feather in a cap)
    Yes i believe so. Check out
    http://udn.epicgames.com/
    and http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycoun...636.html?00453
    for some more info.

You also might want to check this thread on the Polycount forum:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycoun...673.html?00046
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I only use my gun whenever kindness fails.
    -Joe Ely
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Within UT2003 Karma isn't intended to be used on animated models as a solution for secondary motion or collision for things like cloth.
    While it's true that (with some programming skill) you can use Karma for something like a ponytail on a character, it is total overkill for an ingame character. At the speed this game moves, I personally have trouble seeing what each model is supposed to be let alone what animation it's performing. Bear in mind that calculating karma collision takes up valuable processor time.

If you were using the engine to make something other than player characters, a short film for instance, then I can see how you might want to use karma on characters. In truth, speaking as someone who is familer with animation, game animation, and the unreal engine, using karma as a shortcut to animation is something I personally would stay away from since it's much more trouble than it's worth. If however you think you have a cool use for it then good luck!

P.S. More infomation on karma is bound to come flooding out as the modding community gets to grips with it. After which everything I've said above will probably be proven to be incorrect!

Thanks!

This certainly deseves investigation. In game animation can get very stale very quickly unless there is some variance. (For those of us that notice the animation) so I felt that using Karma for overlap would add that element of variance to keep the animation looking fresh and to help transition between actions, like coming to a sudden halt after running. For this to even be noticed, ther must be some feature on the model, like a ponytail or tentacles for the overlap to really flow.

However, if Karma proves to be as processor intensive as you say, it may be unworkable. I'll test it out as soon as I get a chance.