Texture baking in maya

Hi, im trying to make a static mesh in maya. In the VTM they explain how to have a single texture for the whole static mesh. But they only explain it for 3dsmax. How would I do this in Maya? Do you have some useful tuts i could look at? Thanks.

Select the entire model, then assign a material (blinn, lambert, etc) to it. Assign your texture images for color, bumpmap, etc... to the material, then set up your lighting in the scene. Test render to make sure everything is how you want it, then select the model and the material together. Click the Edit button for the Hypershade window, then select the Convert to File Texture option box. Make sure that Bake shading and Bake shadows are turned on, then click Convert. It'll take a bit depending on your CPU, as it has to render the scene to bake the new texture file.

Hope this helps.

Of course you have to do a proper UV Layout before, which means, there must be no overlapping UVs, a ll Uvs in the upper right quater is recommended.
    Then proceed as described by Aasyranth

Quote Originally Posted by Aasyranth
    Select the entire model, then assign a material (blinn, lambert, etc) to it. Assign your texture images for color, bumpmap, etc... to the material, then set up your lighting in the scene. Test render to make sure everything is how you want it, then select the model and the material together. Click the Edit button for the Hypershade window, then select the Convert to File Texture option box. Make sure that Bake shading and Bake shadows are turned on, then click Convert. It'll take a bit depending on your CPU, as it has to render the scene to bake the new texture file.

Hope this helps.
    Suppose I have a model with multiple materials? Like if I am wanting to make a wall panel to render into a 2d texture to save detail can that be done?

Also, how does ambient occlusion work in Maya? I can't figure it out with the help server.
    Regards,
    King Mango

(intermittent!)

Semper Fi

I haven't baked multiple materials much, but I believe that you can do so simply by selecting the faces of the object that have one of the materials instead of the entire object, then selecting the material. You should be able to bake each material in this fashion, generating different image files to be used with their designated regions.