Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Flash and Web Design

Hello,

I am working on learning Flash and want to make a whole website with it.

I have the manual, and some books, however, they are not much help. They mostly teach you how to do some animation and how to draw in Flash. Admittedly I did need to know this.

My quesiton is this: Because Flash seems to be difficult to get a handle on, I was wondering if there were any tutorials on web site developement with Flash. I have gone to Flashkit.com and searched google till my eyes shut from exhaustion, but could only find certain things to do in flash. Mostly the same stuff...drawing and animation. There was also some interactivity stuff but,

I want to make a full website with Flash. I have tried it a few times, but got frustrated with it. I want to be able to resize windows and not lose too much. I also want to have galleries and different pages. I have tried different scenes, but again, a little unweildy and I wonder the whole time, is there a better way to do this.

I don't care if it takes a long time, I just want to be sure that my page is optimized correctly and that I don't have unnecessary stuff that will make my web page a bane to many surfers.

If there are any websites that may help, I would appreciate those. Books also! As I said, I have searched, but I always find that people in forums have links that I have never seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I haven't touched Flash for awhile now but I've always found books to contain much more useful information than an online tutorial. Sometimes I treat my local Chapters like a library. I'll buy a bunch of books, try to learn as much as I can from them in 30 days and then return them for a refund Yeah, I know, it's greasy but hey, if you can get what you need out of it and they offer a return policy, then why not use it to your advantage.

I would agree to using a book in your case. I buy the Visual Quick Start Guides for my software as they are written in an easy to follow way which is helpful when learning the basics or a particular problem. I can use them as a reference to return back to once I'm advanced with the software as well.

You may want to look at Flash 5 Bible which might be more suited to your needs and if you are using MX then you will have to check up and see if there is one for that available.

_greg

Thumbs up

Go to Lynda.com for $25.00/month you can view as many online tutorials as you can squeeze in. The site is very well categorized and she has tutorials on most of Macromedia's and Adobe products. There is at least two sections on Flash that equivalent to at least 6 full length video tapes. The best thing is because it is categorized you can find your weakness and study just that section. She also has videos, books, and DVD's that you can buy. You can get thousands of dollars of education for only $25.00/month. http://www.lynda.com

If you want to do a complete site, then some element of interactivity is required. That means learning ActionScript. You can visit http://www.actionscripts.org/ for some good tutorials on various techniques.

The Flash 5 Deconstruction book by Juxt Interactive will take you through several complete projects - by one of the top Flash design firms in the industry. This book will require understanding motion graphics and scripting principles.

good luck!
    2112 FX :: RELOADED :: www.2112fx.com

Flash help site.

Try VisualXtreme. This is a buddies site, and he has many flash links. Even if you have some genereal questions, I am sure he would be a great help. Just tell him that "Legs" says hello!!

Hope his site helps!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of the links. With the exception of one of those links, they are all new to me. I've done a ton of searches, but did not come up with some of those!

I have a couple of books, but not the bible. I may have to check it out.

www.were-here.com is a REALLY great resource! (although Just Conversation tends to be a little addicting..) All the people whose Flash sites you admire? They're on there. You want to know how they did something specific? Post a question about it and just MAYBE the person who made it will help you out.
    The best way to learn flash is to keep making things--just like an aspiring pilot does not learn to fly in a screaming fast fighter jet, you can't expect to recreate 2advanced.com without a lot of effort on your part! Anything that's worthwile takes effort, though. (but don't recreate someone else's site! Make something that really expresses YOU. )
    Don't mess with scenes too much--they get confusing, and really, for the kind of stuff you'll be making to start off with, you won't need more than one. You can build the entire site on one timeline and use actionscript to call different parts of the site when needed. If it's going to be a huge site, it's preferable to build several .swfs and load them as necessary to keep file size down.
    As you get more advanced, you're going to definitely want to check out Colin Moock's "ActionScript: The definitive guide", which is the ULTIMATE resource for actionscript available.
    I personally don't like lynda.com's tutorials. They do give you foundation stuff, but it's stuff that you can find in any $45 book. If you're looking for WOW factor, you won't find it there. But basics first, and then wow.

there are some awesome tutorials all neatly organized at flashkit.com

and like the great CD's on this site... ITS FREE
    you should also be able to find links to other good sites from there.

ignorance spreads lies;
    how much will money buy?
    Well I'll take my time,
    As I drift and die.

hey, I just wanted to add that recently I created my complete site using Flash and it got some good reviews for it's design which was cool but I have gone back to using HTML now. The reason why is because I found that I couldn't be bothered updating it once the Flash became quite complex and it didn't leave me with as much freedom as HTML.

Don't get me wrong I love Flash and I will still use it in my new site a lot but it will be much easier to update now that I have more control and I'm also using a database with ASP so the whole thing is dynamic...

_greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast