Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I'm not really big fun of Java... But the vtm was pretty damm good so i say keep them coming along... because u never know u might just change my mind about it.

Cheers Michael,

this is much appreciated

Good set of videos Mike.

I would suggest a brief explanation as to why there are multiple variable types.
    Though you do touch on it, it's not very clear.
    An obvious reason for multiple types is for memory reasons.
    If you have a 100 variables and the largest value they will store is 255, then
    you would save a lot of memory making the variable a byte type instead of a long type. (100 * 1 byte of memory versus 100 * 8 bytes of memory)

another thing to mention with the decimal numbers is that the amount of numbers before the decimal affects the precision as well.

Good job. They mimic the 3DBuzz videos in style and thats a good thing.

Hmm, good point vampyre. If I get time I might go back over episode 2 and add a bit more of a discussion in about that.

Glad you like them so far though guys! Makes me want to keep going with them

Please do. You've got me coding a calculator already and I never touched java before teh first vtm

I'm really stuck too and need some help. If you've got a spare few minutes I'd really appreciate the hand
    http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=129812
    Last edited by Toastage; 04-22-2006 at 07:26 PM.

double post
    Last edited by hangfire; 04-22-2006 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeismusic434
    Having said that, I still think it would have been nice if you had explained the String[] array and the other paramater a little bit more.
    The String[] array is an arquement to the method, the method must be given an array of strings, and the name of the array is called "args".

Also System.out.println is a call to a function in the System class. Remember that Java comes with librarys to handle almost anything that any program would be expected to do, because in a sense, the Java Virtual Machine is its own operating system. And all these librarys are there own class, because all Java code must be part of a class, there are no header files like with C++. So println is a function within the out class which is a child of the System class.

Hey guys. I know some of you want to know about some of the concepts and things that java provides that so far I've just glossed over, such as String[] args, classes etc. Rest assured though that we will get to these. So, this is the basic route I'm probably going to go with for the next videos:

3. Arithmetic operators. Things like addition, multiplication etc. I actually did this video last night, but the recording program died before it was saved
    4. Strings. These are a bit more complex in java so they deserve some explanation
    5. Control structures. if/else statements, case etc.
    6. Looping
    7. Methods
    8. Arrays
    9. The creation of some program that demonstrates everything in the previous examples to actually do something useful.

Series 2 (if ya want it)
    1. A discussion on Object Oriented programming
    2. Welcome to eclipse
    3-whatever. We'll be building some program that will demonstrate OO design and implementation. Haven't really thought ahead this far yet though.

Series 3 (way into the future I know!)
    Create some simple multiplayer (networking) game. Thats all I can think of right now. Acually this might be the program we do in series 2, we'll se what happens.

Questions/comments/suggestions please do.
    Last edited by mr_charisma; 04-23-2006 at 03:37 AM.

That sounds nice
    This is my opinion, if you disagree, explain why, maybe I'll change my mind?

New to the site? These thread contain very useful info :
    Site Rules and Policy ,3DBuzz Class FAQ ,What app to use/list over apps and the 3ds Max FAQ

keep up the good work
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problem just with potatoes."

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast