Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Package Files

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thing2k
    A quick update, I'm still working on Part 2, a bit more complex than my initial attempts.

I've managed to get a collection of BMP compiled into one file, while this works, it's not very clear and user friendly. I hope to write this up soon, only problem, this is for textures only and has a very slim scope. I've put this some what on hold while I spend a day or two looking at a true Virtual File System, this is a lot more complex, but will be more flexible, stable and easier to use, hopefully.

thing2k
    so you have it working but it is complex???

how can it be just for textures? is it hardcoded somehow?

i cannot wait for the next part man even if it is making .t2k (thing2k) files
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

My initial attempt makes use of the texture class to do the loading, the file structure is set for only one file type throughout the file, but has no check of this type. While I can tidy this up, and fix the loose ends, it would still only be a collection of files of a single type.

As I said previously that I'm look into a full Virtual File System.
    You pass the class a folder and it converts it into a package, complete with subfolders. You open a package, using search or openFile, if the file exist get returned a file pointer, to use as you would any other file.

Hope this clears things up.

thing2k

Wii Friendcode: 6478 2149 1540 7684

A quick update, I'm still working on Part 2, a bit more complex than my initial attempts.

I've managed to get a collection of BMP compiled into one file, while this works, it's not very clear and user friendly. I hope to write this up soon, only problem, this is for textures only and has a very slim scope. I've put this some what on hold while I spend a day or two looking at a true Virtual File System, this is a lot more complex, but will be more flexible, stable and easier to use, hopefully.
    Great! I'm looking forward to seing it!
    n4x0: Hope to test it tomorrow on my PC, with Visual Studio 2k3, fingers crossed Though it works fine with DevC in debug.
    Thank you very much! Maybe the problem is not in your code, it's just something that I did I don't really know... but thanks anyways
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

Talking

any updates thing2k , i am patiently waiting for updates

I'm working on it, the code is the easy part explaining the code is difficult.

I've changed tactics a few time during Part 2, first to basic, not much use, then to complex, take ages to test and document and finally just right, I hope.

I plan to get the code finished tomorrow, work permitting, and hope to have the full write-up posted this week-end.

Hows that for an update?

thing2k

Talking

I'm working on it, the code is the easy part explaining the code is difficult.

I've changed tactics a few time during Part 2, first to basic, not much use, then to complex, take ages to test and document and finally just right, I hope.

I plan to get the code finished tomorrow, work permitting, and hope to have the full write-up posted this week-end.

Hows that for an update?

thing2k
    WOW i expected a reply like Buzz and Zak give

It will be done when it is Done

Any updates or news on this? It's a pretty cool thread and I'd love to see the finish.

As you have asked I'll give you a quick update.

On Tuesday I finished a little program that can compile a folder into a package file and extract a package file to a folder.

At the moment I am tidying and commenting the code, then comes the write up. Next I'll finish off the package class so it can read and load the textures contained within a package.

As for the delay, I have a few words that will explain it all...
    Mastering 3DS Max : The Fundamental - Content Drop!

Should have code done this weekend, hopefully the tutorial with it.

thing2k

PS Attached is a small taste of things to come, please let me know of any problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Talking

ok cool so now i can make .t2k files

can't wait to learn to read from them man
    i have been waiting patiently

As you have asked I'll give you a quick update.

On Tuesday I finished a little program that can compile a folder into a package file and extract a package file to a folder.

At the moment I am tidying and commenting the code, then comes the write up. Next I'll finish off the package class so it can read and load the textures contained within a package.

As for the delay, I have a few words that will explain it all...
    Mastering 3DS Max : The Fundamental - Content Drop!

Should have code done this weekend, hopefully the tutorial with it.
    I can't wait man
    PS Attached is a small taste of things to come, please let me know of any problems.
    It works perfectly nice job

PS: Is it supposed to retain also the folders inside folders?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast