Probelems With Stastic Mesh Help

HI EVERYONE....
    Im using Lightwave for creating a Level.Iv done that and need to put it in UnrealE.Iv uv d it and all.Everything went smooth untill I need to edit the static Mesh polygon for polygon as if I would do with a Brush for instance or a single box when I... lets say want to put diffrent textures for every poly in that Mesh.Do I have to convert the static Mesh or do I convert it as a polygon to Brush????

Thanks for your help

Dr

If memory serves me there is two points ot make with this.

One - I dont think you can edit polygons (or vertices if you will) on a static mesh I think you can only manipulate the mesh through scaling. You might be able to convert the mesh to a brush but I dont think so and even if you could ...

Two - You would want to convert a mesh into a brush. The reason why is an explination of game engines I cant muster this early in the morning - suffice it to say doing so would be extremely inefficent and could turn your mesh you want to manipulate per-polygon into a BSP hole riddled nightmare (one of the big reasons we use meshes instead of complicated brushes in the first place).

If you must manipulate one of your meshes at the polygon level you probably should do it in Lightwave (where you said you created the first mesh) and export the different mesh to use in your map (at the cost of a little more memory used to render your map). If it is a really simple addition to the original mesh you are looking to do you could use appropriately textured BSP brushes on top of the mesh to half-ass it but that normally is not a viable option and certainly not a popular choice among serious mappers.

Good luck with it however.

College and gaming consumes.

The best (and easiest) way, as far as I know, to have multiple materials on the same static mesh would be, in MAX (I don't know in lightwave), to use a multi/ub texture and use different map channels for each texture, mapping each polygon that you would want to have said texture, and then applying the multi/sub texture on your whole model.

And now, to demistify...
    A multi/sub is a texture that has "slots" in which other textures can be put. Each "slot" can also be called, in a freak way, a "channel". A channel allows you to have multiple textures on one object by telling, in your mapping, what polygons belong to what channel.

The biggest advantage would be, in the end, that you would have TWO (or more...) texture slots in unrealEd, both (or more...) already allocated to the polygons that you would want the textures on.

Because, as far as I know, editing a static mesh in unrealEd is not that possible... And converting a static mesh to a brush would pretty much defeat the whole purpose of the static mesh, which is to conserve memory, since BSP brushes are all added to the BSP tree instead of just instancing the geometry from memory.