Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: C#

There is no other place in the world like that or else microsoft wouldn't be called the software gaint.

That is why they are the best. They know how to create a product everyone can and will use then mass market it. They get it out infront of millions at one time they make deals with companies to sell it pre-installed. They make it easy to administer.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    That is why they are the best. They know how to create a product everyone can and will use then mass market it. They get it out infront of millions at one time they make deals with companies to sell it pre-installed. They make it easy to administer.
    Plus we wouldn't have the graphics that we have today and along with powerful computers...

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    http://www.mono-project.com

C# is very portable and very non proprietary it just so happens the biggest and best software manufacturer develops it.
    I think .net technology is fantastic and Microsoft continue to offer great development tools to the programming community.

But MS keeps promoting C# as cross platform. Many books on the subjust use the same terminology. I would say it's within the "windows broader familily", but definitely not cross platform by any stretch of the bow.

C# is proprietary. You can't modify it. You can't even copy it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Did you not look at the link I gave you? C# is based on a standard that MS sent to ecma to standardize. It is cross platform using mono. I write C# apps for linux all the time. There is also no need to change C# because it would really mess up the whole language that is like changing C++ you just do it in the next version of the langauge. Believe if you think you have a feature good enough to change C# with honstely all you have to do is e-mail the creators of it at MS and they will review it. OR you can post on your blog. MS is very transparent these days and you can get in touch with developers there more than you might think.

But C# is cross platform and anyone can implement it.

Quito, Ecuador (A small country in South America)
    Bigger does not mean better...There are companies out there that are smaller in size but equally or more capable of building software...Just cause office sells half a million copies doesnt mean its the best or the only product of its kind

No it doesn't but I have yet to see an office suite that performs as well speed, efficency, and functionality wise. I use pretty advanced features and do quite a bit of collabeation accross all office products and don't see a slow up or crashes. That is good software.

Not to boost your bubble but there has been an operating system developed in c# with several extensions with include contracts invariants and there are a few other things I forget what they are. But basically the bartok compiler takes msil and compiles it down to native x86. Thus you create a native x86 type safe binary. So the kernel is made of a little assembly (%2), c++ hardware abstraction layer to work w/ the bios getting time. The kernel is written in c# using unsafe code for memory management. Every program compiled in the machine is typesafe. And the only program that is allowed to use unsafe code is the kernel.

Also some of the preformance tests where shown to beat windows.

note: c-sharp isn't properitary it has an ecma standard. Also sorry about spelling too lazy to actually check it.

Ev
    Last edited by evan_time; 03-18-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123