Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C#

C#

i seem that C# is a lot easier language and u can control more stuff too but why a lot ppl are still aiming for C++? i love C++ for a long time and it is so hard. anyone have anything to say about it?
    Maya, 3DS Max, Flash, Photoshop User
    html, php, vb, c/c++ coder

Pround to know 3DBUZZ! and Thanks BUZZ!

will the only real reason why alot of people like still using c++ because it's still a little bit faster then C#.. and it can also be ported easy over to ther Operating plateforums..

C# is a wonderful language. However, there are a few things that are holding it back from taking over C++.

First, it is not as mature as C++. C++ is going on 20 years old (I think it was created in 1987). C++ is devrieved from C which was from back in the early 70's (I'm guessing '72) - and was derieved much more directly than C# from C++. C# on the other hand, has only been around for about 5 years - and only has had a significant push in the last 3 years or so.

Simply put, professionals don't have time to learn every new language that happens to be popular at the moment. It takes years for a lot of people to recognize a language after it has "come of age". Even then, it's hard to get people to move from something they are comfortable with, to something new. That process itself is a huge effort in itself - consuming valuable time that they could be doing good work in their "native" language.

In my opinon - C# hasn't yet matured. This is mostly because of the .NET platform. The last few years, Microsoft has changed the .NET platform, significantly. The C# language itself is about to undergo a new version, bringing with it a lot of new changes. These major changes signify that C# and the .NET platform haven't yet reached it's full potential. Once it does reach that stage, I think there will be a large shift - you can actually see it start right now; just search monster.com for C# coders vs C++ coders, there aren't as many postings, but the C# salaries are higher - which would indicate a higher demand and lower supply.

Both you and sn4k36 seem to have a few notions that aren't quite right though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangquach
    i seem that C# is a lot easier language and u can control more stuff ...
    As for it being easier, this is subjective - I'd agree, but some won't. As for it "being able to control more stuff" this is just plain wrong. You will never be able to write an operating system in C#, nor device drivers (well maybe drivers, but it wouldn't be the proper tool), you most likely wouldn't use it if you were programming micro controllers for a car manufactor's robot. There are different languages for a reason - no one language can do it all, so use the proper tool for the job

As for
    Quote Originally Posted by Sn4k36
    .. and it can also be ported easy over to ther Operating plateforums..
    I'm not sure what you mean.. if you're saying C++ is easier to port, I'd have to disagree. C++ is notorious for being difficult to port. The open source movement is helping bridge that divide by providing cross-platform libraries and such, but there is still a lot of work to be done to port a project 100%. C# will port to any platform that the .NET platform (or equivalent) can run on very easily. Mono - a port of the .NET platform for linux, mac, and a bunch of other systems is well on it's way to being completed. Once that is done, or mostly done, C# programs will be very easy to port - there could be a good chance that you needn't change a line of code!

These C# vs C++ threads really can be summed up in 8 words: Use the proper language for the proper projects.

This insanely long post is brought to you by the girl who stood me up tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by bangquach
    i seem that C# is a lot easier language and u can control more stuff too but why a lot ppl are still aiming for C++? i love C++ for a long time and it is so hard. anyone have anything to say about it?
    Q. How many operating systems are written with C# compared to C/C++.

A. Not sure, but I suspect zero vs almost all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wozdac
    Not sure, but I suspect zero vs almost all.
    Wouldn't it be impossible? C# is essentially an interprated language, the OS would have to have an interprater before a C# program could run - kind of a chicken and egg thing. It would be the same with Java..

Although I've heard that theoretically it can be done, I'm 99% sure it hasn't

Quote Originally Posted by ChadStout
    Wouldn't it be impossible? C# is essentially an interprated language, the OS would have to have an interprater before a C# program could run - kind of a chicken and egg thing. It would be the same with Java..

Although I've heard that theoretically it can be done, I'm 99% sure it hasn't
    Both C# and Java programs run on a virtual machine which is in a sense its own operating system which runs on top of an operating system in order to give it platform independance.

C# is essentially Microsofts own kind of Java. Microsoft originally made a propriatary version of Java called J++, Sun Microsystems sued MS for making an unauthorized copy of Java, and so MS developed their own Java like language which became C#.

I havent used C# but Ive heard it is practically identical to Java. I think Java is a good language to learn for beginners because it leaves out a lot of low level features like pointers which confuses beginners. It also forces the programmer to use OOP all the time instead of only when you think you need it like C++. I think it is also good to learn game programming with because it eliminates a lot of the propriatary interface code each OS requires for it to run . And it has things like graphics and networking funtions integrated into the language itself instead of seperate librarys. But as everyone has said, it is just not as fast or powerfull as C++.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadStout
    Wouldn't it be impossible? C# is essentially an interprated language...
    Real men, like myself, program in binary machine code.

Quote Originally Posted by wozdac
    Real men, like myself, program in binary machine code.

Bahh that's nothing.. I habitually crack open my PC, modify bits of RAM with miniscule magnetic needles, rub my sock covered feet onto my carpet and send an electric shock through the processor - my favorite program to write is a simple ЋΣГГθ ω۞Я√⌠﴿.

I then proceed to make a cup of coffee, and get ready for some QBasic.

Also, a lot of existing base code is already in C or C++ and devs don't want to have to rewrite it all into C#.

Quote Originally Posted by chadmv
    Also, a lot of existing base code is already in C or C++ and devs don't want to have to rewrite it all into C#.
    Most of the time you couldnt rewrite C++ into C# because C++ has a lot of features that C# doesnt have (unless it was a simple C++ programs that used common the common syntax between these languages). However you could always rewrite C# into C++ as I believe that C++ has features that equivalent to all of C#'s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast