Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: C#

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadStout
    You will never be able to write an operating system in C#,
    Have to correct you there, it is possible to write Operating systems in C#. Some time ago they succeeded in writing and compiling a working kernel written in C# @ the Microsoft research lab. I'll do a search for the news, I believe the kernel was called something like 'singletary'.

    Edit: Found it. It's called Singularity. It's an operating system written in C# and a C#-derivative called Sing# (now where did that name come from ).

    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1882174,00.asp
    Last edited by trebster; 03-12-2006 at 04:01 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by trebster
    Have to correct you there, it is possible to write Operating systems in C#. Some time ago they succeeded in writing and compiling a working kernel written in C# @ the Microsoft research lab. I'll do a search for the news, I believe the kernel was called something like 'singletary'.

    Edit: Found it. It's called Singularity. It's an operating system written in C# and a C#-derivative called Sing# (now where did that name come from ).

    http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1882174,00.asp

    Sorry mate, I believe only the kernel is written in C# - all the really low stuff is either assembly or C/C++.

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Singularity is a Microsoft Research project to build a highly-dependable operating system in which the kernel, device driver, and applications are all written in managed code.

    The lowest-level x86 interrupt dispatch code is written in assembly language and C. Once this code has done its job, it calls the kernel, whose runtime and garbage collector are written in C# and run in unsafe mode. The hardware abstraction layer is written in C++ and runs in safe mode. There is also some C code to handle debugging. The computer's BIOS is only called during the 16-bit real-mode bootstrap stage; once in 32-bit mode, Singularity never calls the BIOS again, but rather calls device drivers written in C#. During installation, CIL opcodes of the C# kernel are compiled into x86 opcodes using the Bartok research project. Bartok is an optimizing compiler written in C# for translating CIL into x86.

    There has been no mention of releasing the source code or binaries.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,027
    My bad, didn't read all of it, thought all of it was written in C#.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    144
    C++ is a cool language, but I like to write most of my programs and games in C#. But you know, when you get the sudden urge to write an operating system from scratch I guess its kinda nice to know low level languages as well.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    753
    Quote Originally Posted by gamemaker2
    C++ is a cool language, but I like to write most of my programs and games in C#. But you know, when you get the sudden urge to write an operating system from scratch I guess its kinda nice to know low level languages as well.
    True. And as far a non-portable proprietary languages go, C# would have to be at the top of my list.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,424
    Quote Originally Posted by gamemaker2
    C++ is a cool language, but I like to write most of my programs and games in C#. But you know, when you get the sudden urge to write an operating system from scratch I guess its kinda nice to know low level languages as well.
    When did C++ become a low-level language?

    I guess realitive to C# it could be.. but I still say ASM is low and C++ is high.. I guess C++ is more of a mid-level.. but enough beating a dead horse.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadStout
    When did C++ become a low-level language?
    I think he meant that it is nice to know a low-level langauge when writing such things. And by that he meant that it is not C# - it is good enough for programs/games but for an operating system: Nope.

    I think that was his point - I may be wrong, though.
    I didn't mean to do it.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,564
    Quote Originally Posted by wozdac
    True. And as far a non-portable proprietary languages go, C# would have to be at the top of my list.
    http://www.mono-project.com

    C# is very portable and very non proprietary it just so happens the biggest and best software manufacturer develops it.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Quito, Ecuador (A small country in South America)
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    http://www.mono-project.com

    C# is very portable and very non proprietary it just so happens the biggest and best software manufacturer develops it.
    what company would that be??? Microsoft?

    Cause they arent the best

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,564
    Quote Originally Posted by airjordan12345
    what company would that be??? Microsoft?

    Cause they arent the best
    Sure they are. There software is the most highly used in the coroprate world and the home user world. They have sold over 900,000 copies of Microsoft Office 2003. Windows owns the market in desktop OS. 85% of the world is not confused on how to use windows at all. If you administer your computer correctly Windows XP is rock solid. They create great products and they are worth over 50 billion dollars show me a companie that can beat all that and they will be the best. Bottom line they create great products that everyone uses and and show no sign of stopping. Show me software company that has over 50,000 employee's in one plac with plans to add another 13,000 over the course of the next 3 years to create better software that is easier to use.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •