Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    What sux for me is I never had any coding errors through the whole process of writing down all the code. LOL i have spent so much typeing typing code out of books and from other stuff that when I did the videos i got it perfect the first time so i didn't get the debuggin experience
    well make errors or help out some of these other people on 3dbuzz with there errors
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

What sux for me is I never had any coding errors through the whole process of writing down all the code. LOL i have spent so much typeing typing code out of books and from other stuff that when I did the videos i got it perfect the first time so i didn't get the debuggin experience
    This is one of those cases where more drinking should help out.
    I have figured out what the internet is. You know what they say about an infinite number of monkeys hitting keys at random on an infinite number of typewriters for an infinite amount of time? Well the internet is like that. There is some big cosmic alien running that experiment here in order to find the answer to some big question or to create the greatest piece of literature known to the universe. From what I have seen so far I am sorry to say they are going to be greatly disappointed.

well, this is kind of beating on a dead horse, since this already came up before. Now I personally think too that it should be left to the student to decide what is the best way for him.

But this argument is moot, since the main reason why the source code isn't published is that it would be much easier to distribute illegally. There's no way to protect some source text files with watermarks or so. And it is rightfully feared that this would probably diminish sales.

I had one very respected member of the Buzz community here that shall be left unnamed that actually asked me for the sources from an online DirectX course I did. How hypocritical is this when of course he would never give away anything from 3DBuzz? And no, this is not different, the guy who did the course has exactly the same right to his material as Buzz.
    Just some food for thought...

--- AndiW

Quote Originally Posted by vij_Nair
    Well, ok, but really that should be left to the student to decide if he wants to learn that way. I have seen few VTMs but this is the first one without any source or work files. Great product neverthless.
    Nah, I think it's better that the student doesn't have the choice of doing things the easy way. Sometimes a little force is good, even for people with strong will.

Quote Originally Posted by halma
    Nah, I think it's better that the student doesn't have the choice of doing things the easy way. Sometimes a little force is good, even for people with strong will.
    I agree... making you do it teaches you how do it. Pasting code into a compiler isn't learning... just like buying skates and watching hockey in a basement doesn't teach you to skate... the analogy being that you have source code without writing any and you have hockey without ever being on the ice.
    confused by earlier errors
    bailing out

That is like saying you want to learn how to write without actually writing. Writing code is how you learn to code. Just looking at it isn't going to help you.
    "Booleans are for wankers and beginners!"
    - Lurky

Jumpgate Evolution

I see this is still quite misunderstood. Of course you have to write code yourself, but it is ten times more effective to write your own code.

No matter if you paste code into a compiler and read it or if you type it from the VTM - it's not your own code. The hard problems have already been solved - namely how to structure the code, how to design the program etc.
    This skill is much more important than fiddling over a forgotten semicolon.

One of the strongest points of the VTMs is the part where they show the class diagram for the evil monkeys game. It's a great way to introduce the students to designing a game. What students should do is run and design their own little classes and games, maybe taking parts from the evil monkey game (like the drawing stuff).

--- AndiW

It would help

I have to agree in principle to the above but sometimes reality kicks your ass.

I'm on issue 3 and the sprites vtm but cant get a compile. The class before that comiled but not this one. I have checked as much as i can to get the code from the vtm and line it against mine for errors but to little avail. I'm stuck! Maybe a little video of the code in each class would have helped, theres a lot of jumping around and i think i've missed something.

Anyway, sure i'll get it eventually or start again. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by iaingblack
    I have to agree in principle to the above but sometimes reality kicks your ass.

I'm on issue 3 and the sprites vtm but cant get a compile. The class before that comiled but not this one. I have checked as much as i can to get the code from the vtm and line it against mine for errors but to little avail. I'm stuck! Maybe a little video of the code in each class would have helped, theres a lot of jumping around and i think i've missed something.

Anyway, sure i'll get it eventually or start again. Sigh...
    It won't compile?

What compiler are you using?

what's the error? Problems we can help with, just can't give out source
    confused by earlier errors
    bailing out

Thanks man, i'm going crazy! I think it is some little little obscure thing as they are errors which are very strange...

I'm using VS 2003 C++ and here is a pic of my compiler errors. Very weird, does not like my class defintion and thinks there are issing ';'s and things (theres not). If anyone has a hint it would be great but i'll start again if i have too so no real problem, probably learn more anyway.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evilmonkey.gif 
Views:	132 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	46565  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast