Thread: C# for mac?

C# for mac?

Most likely I will have to end up getting Paralles to run Visual Studio. With that said I have everything I need on my Mac to be happy (Maya, RealFlow, Shake, After Effects, etc.). All except 3ds Max and Houdini (which I'm currently running in Bootcamp).

I'm currently taking a C# class and will be taking Concepts to Algorithms using C++ next semester following several more years of programming classes. So far we have been using Microsoft's Visual Studio, but as you all know... it's for Windows.

I have Bootcamp so, yes, I could technically run Visual Studio on my computer (if I run it under Windows) but I would like to see if there are any other options. Are there any softwares, that you might recommend, that will allow me to work in C# or C++ on the Mac?
    Rico - VFX Artist in training
    USA: Kansas: Kansas City = (GMT -6:00) (CST)

The Mono Project provides a .net environment for Linux and Mac.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

As for c++, the Mac ships with XCode, which includes GCC (the GNU C Compiler). As long as you aren't doing any win32 specific code you'll have no troubles using gcc.

I'd run VMWare Fusion instead - at least I've had a much better experience with it if you go the Windows SxS route.

Unfortunately there are not any real good tools to develop with C# on the Mac. C++ and Xcode works fine, just be prepared to have fun with GDB.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Especially if its for assignments. I had a C++ assignment where my code had to link to a library provided by the lecturer. Too bad the .lib file we were given was compiled with Visual Studio 6. Blew both my Linux development environment that I used for the previous assignment and the copy of Visual C++ 2005 Express out of the picture.

What I'm getting at is sometimes for assignments its better to use the tools the lecturers are expecting you to use.

Im surprised a DLL should be movable between versions more easily than that.
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

No it was something to do with the runtime library. 2005 switched to a multithreaded something or other which made the lib not work. This was 3 years ago now and I don't remember