Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PHP vs ASP

PHP vs ASP

Hey, I'm kind of a newbie with this stuff and I am taking the PHP tutorials and I am pretty much through them but I would just like to know a bit about asp. I am guessing its the newer of the web design languages but is it alot more difficult to php or similar? And should I stick with php for a while before I go to ASP. Or can php pretty much do all the same as asp? Thanks for any answers, its much appreciated!

Well when you say asp do you mean asp as in asp3 or do you mean the current iteration which is ASP.NET 2.0?

If you mean the current iteration ASP.NET 2.0 then you have just found the right person to ask.

ASP.NET 2.0 is not really hard at all since most of what you do is use controls. This allows for you to do your quick programming to get something done out the door and looking good. While this is great you also have the option to customize everything.

Now what do I mean by a control well let me explain that.

A control is a prebuilt set of functions that you would use that normally take a long time to code out by hand for example the login control.

Now this would normally take a while to code by hand because you need to setup the textboxs in code then set them to be post events that take the information inserts it into the database has error checking and encrypts the password. Not really hard to do but time consuming and if you are a newb takes a lot of time.

Now with the login control you just drag and drop if you have the current free version of visual web developer express. and boom you are done it has error checking validation and automatically syncs to the database to check for username and password.

Now say you don't like everything that that logincontrol does like you don't want it to go to its default database or you dont like the look of it. or you just don't like most of it but want to keep the basic fuctionality of it well with ASP.NET 2.0 you can definatly change almost everything to how you want it.

In ASP.NET 1.1 there were a lot of issues of being stuck with how something work. Well in 2.0 you now have complete control over everything.

Now how does this compare to php.

Well as far as I know php does not use controls you have to output everything code everything from scratch. This can lead to much longer development life cycle and can kill scalability.

The arugment of speed well consider it this way php is at it score interperted where as ASP.NET is compiled and run off of machine code in the end so ASP.NET has a speed advantage.

Now onto cross platform capabilites well php is cross platform, but so is ASP.NET 1.1. ASP.NET 2.0 is almost there about 1/3 of everything is implemented so far. I expect in the next couple or three months to have most ASP.NET 2.0 running on apache in linux.

I currently have a server running asp.net in linux. I also know of a site, that my business partner made in asp.net that runs on linux to see that go to. http://www.littlelighthouse.org

It all depends on what you want to do. IMO i would go ASP.NET 2.0 it is faster IMO on several levels. And remember there is huge difference between just ASP and ASP.NET and ASP.NET 2.0. I use ASP.NET and ASP.NET 2.0 interchangably but when i get into specifics between both of them I specify.

My suggestion learn ASP.NET 2.0 and PHP. I personally learning php and use ASP.NET 2.0 on a daily basis and prefer ASP.NET 2.0, but need to learn php so i can get even more work on top of what I already have.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Well I just started to learn Php too! and I was wondering which language to learn. The reason I picked php is because it's cross platform and it just seems too do much more than ASP when i read the comparisons. ASP is microsoft technology.

wow... thanks alot man for the indepth reply! I never knew asp was like that at all lol. Is it like a program like visual basic or something? I don't quite understand what you mean by not having to script everything by hand. So you dont have to like open notepad and type it all in? Theres a program that goes with it or something

Btw.... sorry this is under PHP section I know it should probably be under ASP but yeah, I originally started off with PHP haha

No problem for this being under the php section lol you were probably expecting a lot of pro php answers to backup what you though. I have done the same thing numerous times so don't worry about it at all.

Nope you don't need to open up notepad you can get Visual Web Developer express for free from microsfts site. here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vwd/

You can also need to get the SDK for .NET 2.0 and follow some of the instructions to install the quick start tutorials and they will teach you a ton.

No you don't have to script everything by hand because of the autogeneration of code in visual webdeveloper, but it is a good idea to read through the code to understand what it is doing because this will be invaluable later so that you know what is going on.

For a database backend you can get SQL Express for free. Then look around for SQL Server Managment Studio Express both programs will get you up and running learning to do Database driven web apps. You can use mysql, but I highly recommend SQL Server it is much more optimized connections.

I am hopeing to do some ASP.NET video tutorials for 3dbuzz sometime in the future, but it is probably a ways away though.

Sorry I am getting tired so my answer isn't all that coherent but I think I answered everything if you need to know anymore let me know.

I would just like to say cheers percent20, thats some mighty good info and kick ass replies you put there \m/, im gonna give that web express thingy a download

ASP is a web technology, well more like a cornucopia of various technologies not a programming language itself. You can utilize ASP technology with a couple programming languages; the most prominent being Visual Basic (VB) and also the newer C Sharp (C#) language. Now I mentioned ASP is an assortment of technologies, these are things like HTML, XML, Javascript, Abstract Data Objects (ADO) and more. These are all used to create a framework (or library if you prefer) of objects and functions for web applications development which is very much why people like ASP, lots of things are already programmed for them and they just need to customize it for their application. Now the individual parts of the framework are called controls, not really anything unique when you start comparing it to other technologies that use terms like modules or units; just really a container object that accomplishes some kind of task.

Now that I've somewhat explained what ASP is, comparing PHP to ASP directly should seem a bit stacked, because well PHP is only a single programming language and ASP utilizes an array of technologies that have been worked together to provide you with preconfigured model. PHP is blessed with a very large user base and because of this has an incredible diversity of frameworks for well, pretty much every kind of web application programming model. PHP doesn't come with its own framework, so you have to go and find one that fits your work flow.

I would guess that there is more diverse PHP code out there then ASP code, so that would lead me to believe PHP maybe able to do more things then ASP. But I would say ASP is able to do all the same web development tasks as PHP and vice versa.

PHP has been found to be as scalable as Enterprise Java by far more intelligent people than I and so I would have to say that people with any qualms about PHP's speed are misinformed. It is really a matter of architecture design than underlying technologies.

Now remember there is a difference between ASP and ASP.NET. ASP is the older of the technologys it is interpreted and all around sucks compared to PHP. ASP.NET on the other hand is what I refer to in my post.

ANYTHING that can be done in php can be done in ASP.NET you just have to think it out just like in php.

Yes PHP is scalable but it takes a expert to figure it out. The way that ASP.NET is designed and ASP.NET moron only has to go to microsofts site and read up on what tweaks to do to make it completely scalabe and usually can be done in a matter of a few days depending on the size of the application where as in PHP from talking to people can require complete rewrites of whole sections of code.

I've done asp.net and I really like the lot. But I stopped working with asp.net and now doing php again (maybe I will do asp.net in the future again).

I hate asp.net actually for 2 things:

It doesn't bother about (X)HTML validity, so if you want to have valid (X)HTML you DO have to write all you code from scratch.

Second, it also doesn't bother about other browsers then IE. I am not saying that it wont work in other browsers, but the thing is: they made it so handy that for every browser it creates a different peace of html/javascript where needed so that it will work in all browsers. Thats really handy. But the problem is that, for example DHTML things wil work in IE, but when asp.net creates the output for a, lets say, firefox browser, asp.net thinks that browser is stupid and can do any DHTML. And in your firefox browser you will get much less advanced site then in IE while firefox actually CAN do the things IE can, but maybe a bit difference. And yet again, if you want to create an advanced site for IE and other browsers, you have to create all the code yourself, from scratch.

Anybody knows Microsoft Outlook Web Access on Exchage server? Compare that in an IE and a firefox browser...

Quote Originally Posted by Slotkenov
    I've done asp.net and I really like the lot. But I stopped working with asp.net and now doing php again (maybe I will do asp.net in the future again).

I hate asp.net actually for 2 things:

It doesn't bother about (X)HTML validity, so if you want to have valid (X)HTML you DO have to write all you code from scratch.

Second, it also doesn't bother about other browsers then IE. I am not saying that it wont work in other browsers, but the thing is: they made it so handy that for every browser it creates a different peace of html/javascript where needed so that it will work in all browsers. Thats really handy. But the problem is that, for example DHTML things wil work in IE, but when asp.net creates the output for a, lets say, firefox browser, asp.net thinks that browser is stupid and can do any DHTML. And in your firefox browser you will get much less advanced site then in IE while firefox actually CAN do the things IE can, but maybe a bit difference. And yet again, if you want to create an advanced site for IE and other browsers, you have to create all the code yourself, from scratch.

Anybody knows Microsoft Outlook Web Access on Exchage server? Compare that in an IE and a firefox browser...
    Apparently you haven't looked at asp.net 2.0 those problems are fixed in the 2.0 release. In fact just to make sure that it works they have several different selections of what you want the out put to be one of them is strict xhtml.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast