Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PHP vs ASP

hence the

I was joking
    Saiweb ~ Ramblings of a sysadmin

My Current Recomended WebHost: Nativespace

"Acies Latin: a sharp edge or point; mental acuity, sharpness of vision"

NOTE: Acies is currently beta, the "down" page will be displayed untill I have finished a release candidate

3DBuzz has a reputation system please rate posts using the icon

:P

your right

Yes you can run ASP.NET on apache and I do, but you can only run ASP.NET 1.1 on apache. ASP.NET 2.0 needs IIS for now, and visual web developer does ASP.NET 2.0.

As far as being a MS slave. I wouldn't say I am one I just love there products because of how good they are. Whether people want to admit it MS products are just plain good.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Ok, its time for a pro PHP post. PHP is better then ASP.NET or ASP. I've programmed in both (I started with ASP, then went to ASP.NET, and now that I know PHP, I'm trying to forget ASP/ASP.NET). The way the code is delivered to the browser is about the same in PHP and ASP, as in they will parse at almost the same speed on the same machine, but PHP is faster because, while ASP can do the same things as PHP, PHP will do it in less code. I wrote a web application in ASP.NET and it took about 3000 lines (it was a BIG project) and I wrote the exact same project (actually it had more features) in about 1300 lines in PHP. Furthermore, PHP is cross platform and works great with free stuff like Apache and MySQL. You just can't beat free. ASP.NET, if I recall correctly, only works with ISS. If you want to be taken seriously as a web app coder, PHP is the way to go. This isn't opinion either, its backed up. Google ASP versus PHP or ASP.NET versus PHP and they will tell you the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rums
    Ok, its time for a pro PHP post. PHP is better then ASP.NET or ASP. I've programmed in both (I started with ASP, then went to ASP.NET, and now that I know PHP, I'm trying to forget ASP/ASP.NET). The way the code is delivered to the browser is about the same in PHP and ASP, as in they will parse at almost the same speed on the same machine, but PHP is faster because, while ASP can do the same things as PHP, PHP will do it in less code. I wrote a web application in ASP.NET and it took about 3000 lines (it was a BIG project) and I wrote the exact same project (actually it had more features) in about 1300 lines in PHP. Furthermore, PHP is cross platform and works great with free stuff like Apache and MySQL. You just can't beat free. ASP.NET, if I recall correctly, only works with ISS. If you want to be taken seriously as a web app coder, PHP is the way to go. This isn't opinion either, its backed up. Google ASP versus PHP or ASP.NET versus PHP and they will tell you the same thing.
    HAHAHAHA typical.

Now lets hear from a professional ASP.NET developer namely me.

Now, firstly you can run ASP.NET application on linux no problem check out http://www.littlelighthouse.org That is an ASP.NET application running on a linux server with the Mono framework for asp.net using apache. Now that is free.

The lines of code you can write that is all based on the programmer. I could write a program to do something in 10 lines of code or I can use 100 lines of code.

There is also a big difference between ASP and ASP.NET as a former developer in each you should know this. Yes I will agree with you PHP will kick ASP's butt any day of the week, but look at it this way ASP is over 5 years old php has been updated since then. ASP.NET is the latest iteration of ASP thus rightly called ASP.NET because of it being written with the .NET framework on the back end. Also ASP.NET 2.0 is the latest iteration of ASP. They have worked ASP.NET 2.0 to where it can take up to 80% less time to code, but guess what you have to know what you are doing. Also you can connect to any OLEdb compliant database with ASP.NET heck there is a special provider under linux for MySQL. So you can go completely free if you want.

Now if you want to be take serious as a web developer you will learn both, be able to weigh the pros and cons of each, and finally choose the best solution for the job at hand whether it is best using PHP or ASP.NET. That is how you are taken serious as a web developer.

PHP at the moment will always have the upper hand as it's "Community supported" meaning more regular updates.

However being as ASP.net is using the .NET platform, M$ could in theory update ASP.NET as the .NET platform is updated, rather than updating only when an ISS update is released (as in the case with pre .NET ASP).

As I always say in the WebDev world it pays to be diverse, getting PHP to work with ASP is a difficult task, but is possible as I have had to do so many a time.

Percent20 maybe you can clear something up for me.

ASP used a derivitive of VB6, VBScript which was similar to VB but had many of the Native functions to VB6 striped out.

I have "heard" ASP.NET can use pure VB.NET with nothing "cut out" or "scaled down" into a script.

is this true?
    Saiweb ~ Ramblings of a sysadmin

My Current Recomended WebHost: Nativespace

"Acies Latin: a sharp edge or point; mental acuity, sharpness of vision"

NOTE: Acies is currently beta, the "down" page will be displayed untill I have finished a release candidate

3DBuzz has a reputation system please rate posts using the icon

Yes it is true.

In fact becuase of how it is done you can use C#, VB.NET, J#, C++ or any other .NET language with full integration holding nothing back. This gives you the possibility of writing a complete Smart/Rich Client application with a Web Frontend.

And as it is they are updating ASP.NET with each iteration of the .NET framework no longer when IIS is coming out. Just for some clarification.

Also ASP.NET has a huge community backing it is just most people don't realize it. The coolest thing is that they also have this huge ginormous company backing them.
    Last edited by percent20; 12-07-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123