Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PHP vs ASP

Believe it or not you can actually create an asp.net 2.0 app without writing a single line of code, its very beginner friendly. You can find a lot of great documents on it as well (video tutorials, webcasts etc) on msdn. PHP will give you a more hands on approach, which some prefer. Plus, its open source so you'll be able to find tons of pre-build applications on the internet to support your website. Both languages are good, but I give asp.net 2.0 the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by whipslash
    Believe it or not you can actually create an asp.net 2.0 app without writing a single line of code, its very beginner friendly. You can find a lot of great documents on it as well (video tutorials, webcasts etc) on msdn. PHP will give you a more hands on approach, which some prefer. Plus, its open source so you'll be able to find tons of pre-build applications on the internet to support your website. Both languages are good, but I give asp.net 2.0 the advantage.
    ASP.NET has some great starter kits of very common applications at http://asp.net Also the cool thing about ASP.NET is you can create a page without writing much code, but you can also do it all from code and get into some really involved parts of it. If you like the handson of php you can get that same hands on in ASP.NET 2.0 too.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    Apparently you haven't looked at asp.net 2.0 those problems are fixed in the 2.0 release. In fact just to make sure that it works they have several different selections of what you want the out put to be one of them is strict xhtml.
    ah, that sounds lovely

I realy should check out asp.net 2.0 then some time. Thanks
    Last edited by Slotkenov; 11-20-2005 at 06:54 AM.

at the end of the day I stand by my orignal statement in an ealier incarnation of this topic.

"If you want to be successfull in web development it pays to know both ASP and PHP".

Because at the end of the day if you are called upon to do a job for a client whose systems all run on .NET framework, (i.e. sales ledger system) It's going to be far more cost effective to produce say a comerce gateway in ASP.NET rather than banging PHP to work with it.

I prefer PHP but I also know ASP.
    Saiweb ~ Ramblings of a sysadmin

My Current Recomended WebHost: Nativespace

"Acies Latin: a sharp edge or point; mental acuity, sharpness of vision"

NOTE: Acies is currently beta, the "down" page will be displayed untill I have finished a release candidate

3DBuzz has a reputation system please rate posts using the icon

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    "If you want to be successfull in web development it pays to know both ASP and PHP".
    I've gotten a couple dozen jobs updating PERL sites. Remember when PERL was in the place PHP is now? Anyway.. I think its beneficial to every kind of programmer to be fluent in a handful of languages, it will make you a better programmer. PERL is a great lexical language, has fewer core functions compared to PHP; PHP is a loose syntax lexical language, RubyOnRails is great at pumping out custom sites really fast, JSP and Java Servlets come with great stability and security. I've always been interested in Cold Fusion, but never got around to it, played with TCL but it never stuck. I've also been programming with Python for console applications for a couple months, I know it has a pretty popular web framework, Zope which I hope to try when I get away from playing WoW in my spare time, but that's unlikely to happen for awhile.

I had a point somewhere in there... Anyway, beyond knowing a language is understanding a good design, what scales, what's stable, what's secure, how can I offload processing to multiple servers, how much load can I put on the web server, the database server. Knowing the design models, how can you simplify everything, knowing what's working, what's not, implementing site reporting and notification features, separating the data, logic and presentation. All of these things can be applied to any web programming language and will be essential if you wish to focus on web programming indepth.

well pearl regex still confuses the hell out of me.

I agree lot of sites still do use pearl though, my argument being if you're in a position saying

"I'm going to be a web dveloper should I do PHP or ASP?"

The answer should be "both".

I personaly know Java, PHP , ASP (VB), ASP.net(VB), some coldfusion, Javascript, HTMl, XHTML, C++, (some) TCL

I can also write bash scripts, for linux tasks.

OS wise I am experianced in windows, linux, mac and mac (Unix based).

Actually I should have stated.

"It pays to be diverse"

NOTE: Acies is currently beta, the "down" page will be displayed untill I have finished a release candidate

help?

Hey Yeah I downloaded the web developer but I can't seem to get into it. I ran setup and everything and it's all installed I believe but I can't find the application which to run it in the directory. Please help out a newb

I don't get what you are asking are you wanting to run it from the IDE?

if so just hit the little play button at the top.

If you are wanting to run it using a webserver then you need to install IIS.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Quote Originally Posted by percent20
    If you are wanting to run it using a webserver then you need to install IIS.
    Or apache

your not becoming an M$ slave are you now percent20?
    Last edited by Sion; 11-29-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    Or apache :P

your not becoming an M$ slave are you now percent20? :P
    When you want to run asp.net its common to say that you need to install iis, though it could also be run with apache. Its what I would say, and, as far as I think, has nothing to do with being an ms slave or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast