Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9

    C++ Independent Study

    I started a IDS and am doing C++. I need some help on what i should do.
    Should i get the C++ VTM's from 3DBuzz, or start my book Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 Days. Or should i get a different book. I also have no C++ experience, a little (minute amount) of HTML and PERL programming knowledge.
    ~Edit~ I am also very interested in programming my own games, so any help with that (materials, language, software, books, etc) would be excellent

    Thanks!
    SM

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    little rock arkansas
    Posts
    3,482

    Talking

    well i bought books and i learned a little but then i got the 3dbuzz.com c++ vtms
    now i understand more than any book could ever teach me

    it also depends on HOW you learn..i learn by watching and listening better than
    i do copy n pasting and reading

    but i feel as if i am a better programmer after getting all the c++ vtms

    the OPENGL one are excellent
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    0
    get both the book and the VTM if possable. if you are poor(like me) get just the book.
    be sure to get the 'complete compiler edition' of that book, or you will be sorry
    i have heard those openGL VTMs are good, but i dont like OGL. i would recomend finding books on DirectX for game programing after your learn c++ entirly.

    good luck

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9
    Ah yes, so you and me are alike. I am a very visual learner. This book (C++ in 21 days) is boring me to death, i hardly started it and can hardly do anything. I am probably going to be a Member sponsor, So can i download ALL of the C++ VTMs and the OpenGL VTMs?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ostamo2
    well i bought books and i learned a little but then i got the 3dbuzz.com c++ vtms
    now i understand more than any book could ever teach me

    it also depends on HOW you learn..i learn by watching and listening better than
    i do copy n pasting and reading

    but i feel as if i am a better programmer after getting all the c++ vtms

    the OPENGL one are excellent
    you can teach a 6th grader c++ with that book (lol, i even have proof )
    that book is exelent. butso are the VTMs. but im sure you can get the book for real cheap used on ebay or amazon

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    little rock arkansas
    Posts
    3,482

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by METALHEAD1992
    get both the book and the VTM if possable. if you are poor(like me) get just the book.
    be sure to get the 'complete compiler edition' of that book, or you will be sorry
    i have heard those openGL VTMs are good, but i dont like OGL. i would recomend finding books on DirectX for game programing after your learn c++ entirly.

    good luck
    do not push him into what YOU think is great.....maybe he wants opengl
    i was personally telling him i enjoyed the opengl vtms b/c they taught me so much more and not specifically about opengl
    they teach OOP math learning to deal with lighting and nurbs curves
    it was more theory than opengl
    they just used opengl because it is easier to teach and it is cross platform so people who use linux can get eh vtms also

    if you become a MS you get modules 1 2 and 3 of the c++ vtms

    modules 4 and 5 you have to buy as well as the opengl ones
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9
    I am planning on getting a copy of Visual C++ 2005 Professional (i am not paying for these, school is , but i would have to pay for the VTM's) and i already bought C++ in 21days. I am doing my course on an IBM Thinkpad T40, 1.5ghz, 1gb ram, wifi, etc. But i will upgrade once i am doing the 3D stuff (if i get into that at all this year, i do not know.)
    So is there anything else i will require?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9
    Ok, I have a friend who bought the CD's for the C++ only, it is legal to borrow them, right? on the agreement it said you can make em for friends but cant post em on the internet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ostamo2
    do not push him into what YOU think is great.....maybe he wants opengl
    really. and if he knew what API he wanted to learn why the HELL would be be asking for advice?????
    jesus chirst. stop getting on me becuse i happen to like another API than you; and of course i am going to advise people to use the api i like.
    why would i advise people to OGL if i like DX?????

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9
    I am kind of torn between OpenGL and DirectX, but i wont be doing those until next semester. But i have mainly been considering OpenGL because of people that have been talking about the VTMs for it. If there was DirectX VTMs I would also consider it as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •