Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question New Texture/Static Mesh Packages

How do you create a new Texture/Static Mesh Package (.utx/.usx files) in UnrealEd? I want to create a Texture and Static Mesh package for all of the new stuff that I make, such as level screenshots or new weapons, but I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Please help, and thanks in advance!

All you have to do is import the textures or meshes into the appropriate browser. A window will pop up asking for a package, group, and name. The group is optional, but you need a package and a name. The package must be a unique name, meaning there cannot be another package with the same name. Once the texture/mesh is imported, you still need to save the package from the File menu in the appropriate browser.

There is also a special package you can use that will embed all the content into the map file. When you import, you can put "myLevel" in as the package name. You can use this for any content (textures, meshes, etc.). The one thing you have to remember is that you do not save this package EVER. It is saved automatically when you save your map. This keeps you from having to distribute multiple files when you put your map up for download.

One last thing to keep in mind is that nothing in Unreal should ever have spaces in it. That means names of packages, map names, paths to content to import, etc.

I actually tried to save my screenshot for my level in the "myLevel" package, but it won't show up in the "Open" window in the texture browser. And on that note, when I saved the screenshot, it didn't automatically open to that package like it did on the tutorial from this site.

Packages are nasty. There are so many minor technical errors that one can make that will screw everything up...

1. No spaces, anywhere, ever.
    2. Case sensitivity. It may not be necessary, but do it anyways.
    3. Image dimentions must be multiples of 2. I remember arguing about multiples of 2 vs powers of 2, and I don't remember the conclusion, but the resolution does have to be even (2, 4, 32, etc.).
    4. I hate packages.
    5. If your myLevel package doesn't open, there probably isn't anything in it.
    6. If your myLevel package is open, but appears empty, make sure your filter is empty and you're viewing the base folder in that package. If you're not sure if you added a group (sub folder) when you save it, view all files in the package.
    7. No spaces. Spaces = no save = bad things happen.

I'm sure I've missed a ton of details. Sorry. :P

Hmmm...I wonder who you could have been arguing with about that?

Texture dimensions must be powers of 2. So any combination of these numbers:

2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejnosliw
    Hmmm...I wonder who you could have been arguing with about that?

Texture dimensions must be powers of 2. So any combination of these numbers:
    Does that include screenshots?

Any image you want to import into UnrealEd must follows those guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejnosliw
    powers of 2
    *cough*srebmun neve*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by SiGARMS
    *cough*srebmun neve*cough*
    even numbers arent the same thing as powers of two...

6 is an even number but isnt a power.

Quote Originally Posted by cresswga
    even numbers arent the same thing as powers of two...
    I'm quite aware of the difference and am arguing for the sake of futility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast