Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Yay We Have A M2 Importer

Well I guess I need to thank David Gustavsson for sending me an e-mail after he found tom from 3d-inferno.com who in turn contacted the people of http://wowmapview.sourceforge.net (That app I was talking about in the above thread whos open source is up for download)

Anyways tom and http://wowmapview.sourceforge.net put together this nifty little script that will allow you to now import World of Warcraft M2 models files into 3dsmax along with Gmax (Waterd down version of 3dsmax)

So here is the importing script.

World Of Warcraft M2 Moldel Importing Script

YAY INSTALL/USER GUIDE

So after you have downloaded the script place it in your script folder in your installed version of max's folder eg. (c:/3dsmax7/scripts)

With the script in the right location launch your version of max, and goto your utlitys pannel.
    Here you will want to goto the MAXScript roll out, now choose open script and open the WoWM2Import script.

You will see the actul script code come up in a window, in this window neer the top of the script you need to point the script to the proper location of where the M2 file is that you are wanting to import.

eg. -- GLOBALS AND STRUCTURES

global filename = "c:\desktop\3dmodeling\games\wow\models\Maledwarf.m 2"
    See how I in the "Global filename" I pointed to exactly where my M2 model is on my hard drive.

With that done all you need to do is in this script window goto File uptop and click Evaluate All.

Evaluateing the script will kick it into gear and now use the file location you put in for where that M2 model is at.

Once the script is done Evaluating you will have the model imported into your max.

Note:Models being imported are very tiny so you needs to zoom your viewports in to see the model. So dont keep Evaluating the script after you have done it once already.
    Last edited by ubh; 03-25-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Cleaning up the Imported model!!!

Ok so you have done the above and have/see the imported model into 3dsmax right?

BUT the models broken up into un-workable parts + no vert welds were done on importing the model so no smooth groups will work?

NO PROBLEM

1) In max hit your H key to pull up the selection window and select all the model parts in your scene.

2) With them all selected goto your Utilities panel and goto collapse roll out, with it rolled out hit the collapse all buttion.

3) Now that the models collapsed into a single mesh you are going to want to go back to your modify panel and goto your element mode on the EditMesh modifyer and select the mesh (Highlighting it red).

4) With the whole mesh selected down in elemental mode, pull out your modifyer list and add the "Vertx Weld" modifyer into your models modifyer stack.

5) Once the Vertx Weld modifyer is in the stack give it a value of 0.01 and watch the model become slightly smooth grouped.

--Now that we are done cleaning up the verts we need to clean up the pollys.--

6) Re-collapse the mesh by going to your Utilities panels collapse rollout again.
    When your done Re-Collapseing the mesh again, go back the the modifyer panel and turn your elemental mode back on to select the model again (High Lighting it red)

7) Now on the Editmesh's rollout scroll down to where you see smooth groups options and give the entire selected mesh a smooth group of 2 or 3 or the lowest avalible number for you to select in the smooth groups options.

YAY model is clean!!
    Last edited by ubh; 05-06-2006 at 01:04 PM.

could someone post some way to import this into XSI. pleeease?

i was able to easily import into gmax, but I am having no luck exporting it. The exporter I'm using (the only one that can export to .MD3 format:
    http://www.lancersreactor.com/t/down...ad.asp?id=1676
    ) constantly complains about too many vertices per object (max of 4096).

also, I have been trying all night to collapse 6 sections into 1 with no luck at all. I press H to select everything but i can not find any "collapse roll out" option, and every time i find a "collapse all" option it does nothing. It even prompts me before it takes action, i hit "yes" and nothing changes. I still am stuck with my 6 objects.

either way, I really need this object to be somehow imported into XSI. I am using this tutorial, but the vertex count is too high:
    http://www.bzuniverse.com/~fish.xsi/gmax.htm

that method gets messy in a hurry too.

please post help; I'm sure im not the only person with this problem.

oh, and thanks for the help so far; I've come a long way.
    Last edited by b4p; 09-28-2005 at 10:50 PM.

cool stuff, i was looking for something like this for ages. big thanks for that!

btw: is there any way yet to bring custom models into the game? i know that you can display meshes using the PlayerModel-element, but i wasn't able to bring my own models into there yet.

any help would be gladly appreciated.

I have problem with this script (WoWM2Import.ms) when i click to import then i have a message "no appropriate import module found" what should i do to import m2 files into gmax?? I followed the instruction and i have still the same problem.

I dont have any solutions to getting this plugin to work with XSI im sorry bout this.

As for it not working in G-Max... I have no copy of G-max installed and couldnt tell you why this issues would come about.

To collapse a set of Editable Meshes you must goto (with objects selected) your Utilities Panel and use the Collapse Utility.

As for bringing in custom models into the game.. No ATM there is are no way of doing so, with out currupting the game from loading... so please be careful!
    Last edited by ubh; 04-30-2006 at 04:38 AM.

Textures

Ok, I'm using this and the m2_import_v3 thing to try to get models into 3DS Max.

Works great!

I have to go delete some of the models (because it loads all the clothing and hair meshes along with the base model)

I can apply the RaceSex(DwarfMale.blp etc).blp file as a texture to the main body pieces and it looks wonderful, though they are naked.

What I am trying to figure out is how to use the OTHER textures for the main body. Like the Chest/Leg/Hand armor pieces...

The problem is that when I apply those textures the UVW-map is completely wrong....other than using the BakedNPC textures, how can I get clothing on these models?

Textures

Could you post how you are getting the blp textures to look ok? Texturing is the one piece of this I'm having a hard time figuring out. It'd be much appreciated.

TIA

TRK

afaik wow uses seperate submeshes for clothing and armor. the texture coordinates are saved on a per-vertex-base, so you won't be able to apply those textures to the main model.

for weapons additional models are used. you may use a tool like wowmodelview to find out which model/submesh corresponds to which items in the game.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast