Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by n4x0
    I wonder how can it be done... Can you say me more or less how is it?
    For what i know what he is doing is more or less an interpreter. That is, he reads a file, indentify commands, internally store variables for it (if there is variable declarations), and "translates" the commands he found to C++ stuff and so on...
    I dunno to which degree this is a "virtual machine", but you can "easily" do interpreters that will read a file write with a set of commands you define and execute it.
    In a REAL basic way, thats is all compilers do, since they translate, C/C++/C#/Java/Delhpi/Whatever to Assembly code the CPU can actually understand.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGod
    I should ask whether maths can help us to edit C++ better. I should not say "whether we need to good at maths".
    In the future, I will learn about DirectX that seems to refer to mathematics. So I don't know whether maths can help us to edit C++ for making games.
    Depends what you want. If you plan to work with desktop applications or the such i can say that math will (almost) never be util to you.
    On the other hand, if you plan to be a game developer, math (specially linear algebra) is all that you will think about, and C++ will be a secondary aspect of it.
    Math is the heart and soul of 3D programming, and, while APIs like DirectX and OpenGL offer a good level of "abstraction" to all the math, the best you know it (math), the better your games are gonna be (engine wise of course, writing fun games has nothing to do with math).
    Note that i just mentioned rendering, but other aspects of game (like physic simulations) will need a very good understment of math (and physics).
    In other areas of computer science math is also a very important matter (like in cryptography), and goes way beyond linear algebra.

Cheers,
    KM
    "Things are like they are because thats how they are suposed to be"

Pretty cool I always wondered it, how are the programming languages programmed?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer
    Tank Game - Progress: 11%

lol
    the first one was probably write in assembly (or what ever they had back there), nowadays programming languages are write with... well... programming languages
    i think the first C implementation was written in assembly for a PDP-11, with the sole objective to writting the first (or one of the frist) Unix implementations

Also, i believe java, for example, is written in C/C++, the same probably is the case with C#.
    It can also be the case off writting a "basic" version of the language (c# for example) in C++, and the rest of the language is write with the core they had previously.

Cheers,
    KM

Prety cool stuff!! And a OS, what language is programmed in? I guess the kernel is in asembly and the rest, is, for example in C (like the XP), am I wrong?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer

I can't avoid to wonder it: ┬┐And how is it programmed? I think I'm freaking out
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer

OSs are mainly write in C with some critical/basic parts write in assembly.
    but, to a certain degree this doesn't really matter...
    you know all these cool functions that the base C lib provides to you (like malloc, printf and so on)? well... you have to write everything from scratch yourself
    you are able to write a kernel in C if you do not use any library function and compile it to a "true binary" code (OS independent), that is, without any linkage. but still then you need some aditional things, such as a boot loader.

That being said you can write a kernel in Java as well (as there are some out there), compile it to "true binary" and boot it. The drawback is that you need to write the whole Java library/VM again, so you can use it.

OS development is said as a black art until these days, simple because you are writting the most basic software you can ever write. You need to know a LOT about hardware, assembly, interruption, memory management (at hardware level) and, basically, everything hardware related.
    Not only that but you probably need to write your own compiler, shell and everything else so to make your OS usable.

As i said a code can be compiled to a true binary, so you can write your basic OS in any other existing OS and boot the machine using your brand new OS.
    After your OS is at a good stage you move on and start develping it on itself thats how linux was/is being developed).

Hope this made somethings clearer.

Cheers,
    KM

Quote Originally Posted by KhaoticMind
    Pretty cool On the other hand, if you plan to be a game developer, math (specially linear algebra) is all that you will think about, and C++ will be a secondary aspect of it.
    Math is the heart and soul of 3D programming, and, while APIs like DirectX and OpenGL offer a good level of "abstraction" to all the math, the best you know it (math), the better your games are gonna be (engine wise of course, writing fun games has nothing to do with math).
    Only maths and physic? How about additional mathematics and pure math?
    Excuse me, I really need to ask about it more detail as it is very important for me or even my future.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGod
    Only maths and physic? How about additional mathematics and pure math?
    Excuse me, I really need to ask about it more detail as it is very important for me or even my future.
    pure math?!
    like in what?
    for me pure math is something only the mathematicians would care about

Also, why would this info alone be so decisive for your future?

KM

Ya, I'm still a little bit confused.. Some questions.. you can make an OS only in C? without using asembly?
    n4x0 -- C++ Programmer

Quote Originally Posted by n4x0
    Ya, I'm still a little bit confused.. Some questions.. you can make an OS only in C? without using asembly?
    don't think so
    to do an OS you will need to call functions directly from the processor, and C does not offer this kind of power.
    And this is the whole point of an OS, making an intermediate layer between the software and the hardware. So it needs to talk with the hardware and to do it, it must use assembly.

Try searching a bit about "operating system development" and you will find some interesting links.
    Also, try finding some basic definition on Operating Systems

Cheers,
    KM

EDIT: ARGH!
    A thousand posts

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast