Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    I'm getting there. I spent th elast two days doing things totally un-programming related. But i did a bit more today. I don't think it's going to be done within a week now though. Not saying it couldn't. I just dont think i'm going to do it. I'll keep pluggin though

Update

Talking

maybe add a funtion that if you go below the level it starts over or quits or shows a message then quits or something man

looking good though
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

Yeah, it does detect if you go below the floor level but i havn't written any code in response to that. I'm actually considering starting over. I kinda rushed the code at the beginning to see if i could do it in a week but i don't like the way it's turning out, Code wise at least. It's all working nicely and all but i made some bad design issues that i'm too picky to leave in. Maybe i should get someone to help. Join the team as it were

What you should do is start over tommrow and write up a tutorial as you go. See if you can write the tut and get the game done in 2 weeks. If you can do that then that means you can definatly do a game in one week.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Heh, MrGoldfish... not to discredit any of your work because it is looking good, but you've just proved that it is very difficult to get even a simple side-scroller working properly in a week. From start to finish, planning, design, coding, and testing, it's very difficult in-deed, especially if you want to write good code (which apparently you do, which is GREAT!!).

Other than that, good job! Can't wait to see the next release.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

Talking

yeah i have been searching for a good tutorial on side scrolling games
    i understand some of it but have yet to code anything

but last night i coded in c++ and SDL the ability to move a bitmap up and down
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

you know what?? ill do it. by tuesday next week ill have this moster done.
    (but, ill be using the fish dudes tiles... is that OK?)

(but i have to install c#.net first)

i agree with you owensd to a degree. I still believe that someone could indeed code a side scrolling game within a week. With what i have done so far, i havn't come across anything that i would consider difficult or hard to implement. I don't mean that to sound like i'm very good or anything, just that when it comes down to it, some of the stuff is very simple to achieve. Whether it's the optimal way to do it is another matter all together. To code one level of a Mario type game, i'm still sure it can be done. To complete the entire game (every level) i doubt could be done in a week. But the that comes down to level creation and artwork, not code so much because once you have one level coded you can pretty much have as many levels as you want using the same framework.

percent20: i will indeed start over tomorrow. A side scroller, which will run at a minimum of 1024x768 resolution and some nice game effects. I'm not setting a time limit though. I'm supprised i got as far as i did with this one without planning anything. So more emphasis on design to start with. As for a tutorial...maybe. It would be nice to write one if thery are scarce on the net.

METALHEAD1992: GO FOR IT!!!! hehe Although i'm supprised you want to use my tiles. I thought they were rubbish :P

ostamo claimes my tiles are scary

yours are usable until i actually get someone to do the rest for me, because i am no artist, even those are beyond me

(OK, i JUST got directX SDK and c# installed)

I thought this article from gamedev was released very timely for our discussion on this topic. Check it out.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast