How to get wireframein MAYA?

Can anyone help me for getting wireframe render in MAYA?

"I've seen further,
    it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
    - Sir Isaac Newton, 1676AD
    “In other words, I’m live bait.”
    “Not at all, Just think of it as being a self-propelled target.”

Proffesor of zonkdogfology

Wireframe

I normally fool around with the settings in the hardware render buffer for wireframe renders, but this isn't so good for final output. This guy seems like a bit of a genius and has a MentalRay solution about half way down the page. http://webspace.ringling.edu/~oheijm..._Rendering.htm

Thank you for your support it has helped me very well. Thanks.

Another way would be to render using Maya Vector. You might not have it loaded so go to Window>Settings/Preferences>Plug-in Manager. Look for VectorRender.mll and load it.

So in the render global settings make sure you change Maya Software (or Hardware) to Maya Vector. Make sure to render the file as whatever format you need (.jpg, .tga) The default is Macromedia .swf.

Go to the Maya Vector tab.

Check Include Edges and change Edge Style: Outlines to Entire Mesh. That's it!

You can play around with the settings but that's an easy way you can get wireframe renders. The only problem is that it shows it in all tris not quads. I haven't figured out how to get quads. You'd probably have to do the tutorial that the other posted for quads.
    I'm done posting...Back to animating my circus audition!

Romans 10:11
    Sketchbooks Finished: 6 (Jan 07, 2005)
    My Sketchbook- Conceptart.org

Actually this is really straightforward in maya viewport with some minor setup (and no need to render)...

1. Switch your grid off using 'Display > Grid'. You may want to switch off other UI elements like the view name, poly count, view axis etc.
    2. Create a lambert texture and set the incandecance to white and apply to all objects in your scene OR another option is to create an ambient light with Intensity=10 and Ambient Shade=0.25, but then you must remember to setup the viewport to use the select light
    3. In the view port you want to use select 'Shading > Smooth Shade All', then 'Shading > Shading Options > Wireframe on shaded'. Optionally you can also switch on 'Shading > Smooth WireFrame'
    4. Finally set the view port background colour to white. There is probably a preference for this somewhere, but I use the command line (case sensitive):

displayRGBColor "background" 1 1 1;

then, when finished:

displayRGBColor -resetToSaved;

This works for stills and you can use playblast to generate animated wireframe. Original idea was by Chris Kniffen. The challenge for you is to create a simple mel file with all the commands you use and add it you your toolbar

I used this method to create the wireframe view for my spaceship WIP

Later
    Last edited by stevenhughes; 04-30-2005 at 05:03 AM.

Advanced Modeling: Lamborghini | Dodge Viper | Dash Cunning | Brandi | Stephanie | FA-18 | F15
    Aviation Art: "Clear Skies Ahead" (printed in issue 85 of 3D World Magazine)
    Latest WIP: "Ariel (sci-fi girl with a gun)"

one of my fav ways

Automatic Mapping , then goto the UV Editor, and save the UVmap. Then reapply it back onto the model, instant wireframe render, that repsonds to shadows and light.

hope this pic can show what i mean.
    Last edited by phrenzy84; 06-11-2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: For some reason people come back to this thread. Thought i should post a pic to help people out.
    site

insert witty comment here

Auto map

Good call Phrenzy84 that is a great method. Ya can also apply the same file to materials transparence to see all the wireframe if thats needed. Very nice.

yeah great thing is you, dont have to atucally UV map (properly UV by UV) and then you can have it mapped into the translucency or othe channels, you could animate it into the incandesence or even have it controled by a ramp to fade in from the bottom to the top, there are endless ways to control it.

Just make sure the resolution of your map is high so it isnt pixelated in the render.
    site

insert witty comment here