View Poll Results: Which IDE do you use for C++?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Visual C++ 6.0

17 17.71%
  • Visual Studio.NET C++ 2003 Unmanaged

30 31.25%
  • Visual Studio.NET C++ 2003 Managed

12 12.50%
  • Code: Blocks

6 6.25%
  • Eclipse

2 2.08%
  • Dev-C++(Bloodshed)

29 30.21%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    ok, I've decided to go with the VS products but now which should I use? VC++.net 2005 beta or the full VS.NET 2003?

Well... unless you have a lot of cash AND you need to be able to develop in other languages like VB.NET, C#, or J#, there is no reason to get Visual Studio. I'd just get Visual C++ .NET 2003 - it's like $109 USD, or something close to that. Of cource, the Visual C++ 2005 Express BETA is free, but it has noticeable bugs and missing features.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

I use Dev c++. I'm just getting started and it's free.

Well I actually own VS.NET 2003 thanks to school. So it's not really about the money. I also do a little bit of VB.NET because of a school class so I guess VS.NET 2003 would be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by owensd
    Well... unless you have a lot of cash AND you need to be able to develop in other languages like VB.NET, C#, or J#, there is no reason to get Visual Studio. I'd just get Visual C++ .NET 2003 - it's like $109 USD, or something close to that. Of cource, the Visual C++ 2005 Express BETA is free, but it has noticeable bugs and missing features.
    true thing about the bugs, this thing died on me so many times that i lost the count

KM

And i'm still the only one using eclipse
    "Things are like they are because thats how they are suposed to be"

Quote Originally Posted by KhaoticMind
    And i'm still the only one using eclipse
    For C++, maybe. I really don't like the compiler errors that I get back from it; they are very criptic to decipher. However, if I'm developing in Java, then it is Eclipse all the way.

Long live Eclipse!

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." ~Rich Cook

go with 2003.net. NOT 2002.net, there are a LOT of differences... as for ASP.net: the AWSEOME thing about it is that you can develop with it with a form editer, much like what you would do with windows form apps. also, you can use ASP.net to make a servie that can push out info for non-web apps... for ecapmple - you can make a XML service that returns a XML document and use it with ANY .net program, ASP.net or not

also - look into the Deluxe learning editions i meantiond eariler becuse they are CHEAP and come with a book
    (I nkow of a c#,c++ and vb.net one - not sure about j#)

~

Dev-C++ For me

I think its well put together and well supported.

There is alot of information online to configure different environments to work in Dev-C++. this sort of support is a major bonus.

Its free, developed for and provided to everyone who wants it using the benifits open source technology provides.

Its not as cluttered as some other packages, although supports many useful features. The advantage in this is a faster compile than some other packages. Important for those of us still developing on older machines.

Its also highly customisable,with add on packages available to download and ready to intergrate into the environment with a few clicks. Alot less fuss than moving directorys about for every project.

When I had to program on Linux I gave Borland C++ BuillderX Personal a try. Although I heard it has some bugs I used it for quite simple assignments and it worked fine for me. In Windows I prefer Visual Studio 2003 to Dev-C++ mainly because of the UI, but Dev-C++ is a close second and if it wasn't for my school being in the MSDNAA program I would surely use Dev.

Ok, my friend ended up having a copy of Visual Studio.Net 2003 Enterprise Architect from when he was in school. I personally own the VS.NET 2003 Pro. Is it worth the time and the space to install the EA or just go with the Pro?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast