Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why are goto's bad in C++

well i personally think they make harder to read progams
    Last edited by ostamo2; 03-26-2005 at 08:02 PM.
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

who needs the spell-check now? gots??? you mean gotos

i use them... sparingly, usaly a loop is better, though

so sue me i missed one letter
    ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS ME WANT AGENTS

well, ok, i think that gotos are better then function repition. but, in most cases, yes, they do make your code harder to read - while they are easir to code them loops. but if you had the extra times - go with loops

i like go to's as im too lazy to make a long piece of code a function or a loop depending on the situation, a go to stament just saves time for me, granted it does make code harder to read but it makes it easy to quickly add in a loop if needed. There not that bad.

Good lord, will you guys please define 'long time' for me, 20 seconds must be an lifetime for you all! But considering all the typos, yall must be in a rush... I kid I kid..

Personally I never EVER use them, simply becuase I was soooooo thoroughly taught that it is BAD PROGRAMMING TECHNIQUE. Thanks Mr. Rubis Anyway, to each their own, unless I am the one who ends up maintaining their own!

-ReD

I ended up taking a crash course on C++. When we got to the break and continue commands, I asked a few questions and we got to the area of goto statements. He basically said that it was bad practice in programming to use them. I didn't question it. His words, not mine...

back in the day of C, goto were used all the time. then it led to 'spegette' code, which was bad. so, it started to get looked down upon since then

~

one of the worst things about goto is, once you get used to it, you will use it all the time. i still remember, at the end of those old basic days, when i wrote my first pascal programs i was still so addicted to goto, that it made my code completely unreadable. and there is really no need to use goto in any high-level programming language, it's just a matter of not-thinking-in-goto anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast