UnrealScript source...

Hi,

This is a question regarding the UnrealScript source downloads.

I have UT2004 installed and I've downloaded and installed the latest patch from the Epic site. I've found the UnrealScript IDE and installed that as well and then read about the latest UnrealScript source code.

My question is, did this source for the UnrealScript come with the UT2004 patch or is this a separate step I need to perform each time an engine patch comes out to keep up with the latest-and-greatest script changes (if any) for UT?

If it is, I'm going to assume I need to copy these files to the UT2004 directory (somewhere) and run and script compiler or something after.

Thanks,

Steve

No, don't recompile. Though therorehtically shouldn't overwrite anything as Ued will only complie scripts that have changed.

The patch will update the "*.U" files the game uses to run.
    Script source (UC files) and the Debugger are for Mod makers and Developers. No need to even download these files unless you're into that kind of stuff. Those source files are typically only used as reference and should not be placed in your UT2004 folder.

I've never seen the point in downloading the source classes, you can export them from all .u files using the actor browser in UnrealEd.

Go to "file/open package" then highlight all of the .u files in your system folder and click open.
    Uncheck Actor as parent and placeables only then go to "file/export all scripts" and click yes at the prompt.

If you're a scripter then you should do this every time you patch the game to make sure you have the latest source.
    Just be careful with older versions of UT2004, it used to crash UnrealEd when it was done until a recent patch.

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to learn the UnrealEngine environment and am playing around with modding so that's why I asked. I'm kind of anal about keeping up-to-date with patches and when I downloaded the latest patch for UT2004 I saw the source files for UnrealScript also.

I didn't think you could decompile the UnrealScript files. That's what you are saying right?

I guess I'll just keep the source files I downloaded with the latest UT2004 patch in a separate area incase I need them.

Thanks,

Steve

Yeah unrealscript can be decompiled easily including comments.

Well... i would recomend to you to get tthe full soruces as a separete download.
    I've had some issues in the past exproting the sources from the compiled files (missing comments, strange characteres, and other stuff).
    "Things are like they are because thats how they are suposed to be"

I did download the separate script source when I applied the UT2004 *.exe patch. Thanks again for the advice. It is much appreciated.