butterfly/bee wings animation`

How can I animate the wings of butterfly or bee? Is there a tutorial on this sombewhere?

There are several different ways you could do this, but probably the most straight forward way is to set keyframes at their min and max values from the bottom to top of their flap cycle. Then open the graph editor and select the animation curves you just created and repeat the animation cycle.

To do this:
    1) Create your keyframes
    2) Open the Graph Editor (Window > Animation Editors > Graph Editor...)
    3) Select the animation curve you wish to cycle
    4) Use the graph editor pulldown "View > Infinity"
    5) Use the graph editor pulldown "Curves > Post Infinity > Cycle"

Now your wings should flap repeatedly along the entire timeline. What you may wish to do is to adjust the in and out tangents of the animation curve to get a smooth flow. It may be best to use "Spline" keyframe tangents for something like this so you get a smooth in and out transition instead of a jerky linear motion.
    Dez - Pipeline Technical Director
    Current Project: "Big Hero 6"

My Photography Website

Hey DezFX, when are you going to take up your new post of teaching at The Gnomon School of Visual Effects

Seriously my friend, you are a huge help to all the Maya users on these forums and you try to answer nearly every Maya question posted...and all great answers too.

Your help is really appreciated. Keep it up

Red face awww shucks

hehehe Thanks, I enjoy helping others whenever I can. As for teaching at Gnomon that would be really cool. However, they have a policy that they require ALL their instructors to have atleast 5 years professional working experience in the entertainment industry before they will even consider hiring them as an instructor. So, that's not something that can happen anytime soon. But the thought and hope has crossed my mind from time to time.

My Photography Website

I am having a little problem with this one. I would like to cycle the wings at the certain point, not the whole thing.

Like in this case, I have a bee model and I made a whing with some bones, now I would like the wing to open and then begin the cycle when it is flying,
    now when I cycle I have everything repeating including the beginning when wing opens.

is it possible to cycle from a certain keyframe?
    Attached Files Attached Files

For that you would want to copy the keyframes and paste them in only for the part of the up and down flapping motion. To do this you use the same techniques of cut-n-paste in windows or any other application. Select the keyframes and use the graph editor pulldown "Edit > Copy" and "Edit > Paste". That way you can control which keys are copied, and what portion of your timeline they are applied to. To insert a space between your keys or paste them at a certain frame, simply move your time slider to the desired frame and right click in the timeline to select "Paste > Paste" from the pop-up menu.

My Photography Website

it will be a lot of copy-paste

thanks.

That is why you only want to set keyframes for the attributes that are edited. If you press "s" and keyframe everything in the channel box, you may want to use the pulldown menu "Edit > Delete By Type > Static Channels" to clean up your animation curves before you go into the graph editor and start copying keyframes. Atleast that way you are only working on what has been actually animated.

My Photography Website