how to re-orient joints after rigging/animating

Ok, I have a problem where I've already created the skeleton and bound everything, and animated it. The problem is that now I realized that I oriented many of the joints incorrectly. Their local x axis is pointing to the left (down the world Z) by default, with Y up, but I need the local X axis for the joints to point forward, with Z up. I can't seem to figure out how to change the orientation on the joint without either messing up all the geometry in the skeleton, or else totally screwing up all the animations that used the previous orientation. Is there a way to fix this?
    Thanks,
    Aaron

I don't know about saving the animation, but you can try this script out. I'm not much of a character animator, so I don't know all their limitations, yet.

Code:
    string $selected[] = `ls -sl`;
    joint -e -zso -oj xyz -sao zup $selected;
    string $joints[] = `listRelatives -ad $selected`;
    string $current;
    for ($current in $joints)
    joint -e -zso -oj xyz -sao zup $current;
    All you need to do is select the top joint and the script will take care of the rest.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director - Warner Bros. Animation

Thanks, I'll try that out! I don't know the first thing about mel script, but I'd like to figure out how to write this stuff myself... I'm sure it shouldn't be too difficult to go through the animations and change the orientations on those as well..
    again, thanks.
    Aaron