Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dangerous CPU Temperature?

Hello guys,

I wonder if you can help me out. I recently built a new PC and its a complete dream to work with.

I've got an AMD Athlon 2800+ with 2 coolsermaster case cooling fans (both blowing air out). I've installed "MotherBaord monitor 5" and have made sure it is 100% accurate and it shows that my CPU temperature is about 52-54 degrees when idle in windows and while playing Unreal Tournament 2003 it reaches about 57-59 degrees.

I know its the hottest day of the year in London, but is this temperature normal for an Athlon 2800+ with 2 cooling fans? I wanted to know whats a dangerous temperature for my CPU, as in at what temperature will it be harmed, damaged and effect performance?

Thanks!

Dangerous would be above 70 degrees. You should still be fine around those temps. If you are worried, doublecheck the heatsink to make sure there is no dust that has collected in there, then remount the processor with a thermal compound like Arctic Silver just to make sure.

You would start getting crashes if it was running too hot, my 2.0 ghz athlon runs at 51-52 while playing and doesnt crash, i have removed the heatsink without replacing the paste tho (naughty me...) lol...
    Complaining is like a rocking chair, It's fun for a while but it doesn't get you anywhere.

A week ago I had 78 degrees cpu temperature

most athlons can take a max of 90 degreees

with just below 60 theres no problem

An Athlon can get up to 90 C without being damaged, but you'll probably never get it that hot, most CPUs will lock up around 75. I'd only really get worried if you were seeing consistant temps around 63-64 degrees or above while playing a game or rendering.

I have a machaine that I pretty much can't run on days when the temperature is above 80. It's an older Athlon, and outside of buying a huge, extremely noisy fan, there's nothing I can do to keep it cool enough to run.
    Side Effects Software
    Visit our good buddies at
    [od]force

My computer has run as hot as 160' F
    Future video game developer.

The hotter your system is running the shorter its lifetime is likely to be. So, you could indeed run it something close to 90 C but not for very long.

A hot processor doesn't just affect itself, it affects the temperature of everything else in the case.

Your temperatures are okay, but could possibly be a bit lower. Where are your fans positioned in the case? The ideal setup (as discussed here many times) is to have one fan at the front sucking air into the case, and one at the back pulling air out of the case.

There's also a lot to be said for good thermal paste, it can knock a fair few degrees of your temperature

Best of luck,

Ben

Originally posted by DuranDethcla
    My computer has run as hot as 160' F
    yea i had a problem with heat, idle i was at 140 i think and ut2k3 got me to 168, and well something must have gone wrong, i restarted and it was all "cant not boot cpu temp to high".... it was 183
    SatisFaxion

Please Support Our Sponsors, They Help To Keep 3DBuzz.com Alive:
    3DWorldmag | Kaydara | Discreet | SideFX | Oregon3d | 3DUniversity | Pixologic | Alias | Caligari | EdHarriss

My free iPod referral thingamagigge

Thanks for the great advice guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast