Texture error, causing draw order problems?

So I was creating this model, but I ran into a really strange problem when I tried putting a texture on it.

I already successfully had an alignment texture on this model and it was displaying just fine. But when I drew out a simple design (mostly just flat colors right now so I can see how well everything is coming together) and then applied this texture to my model, suddenly everything was drawn wrong. I thought at first that it had somehow glitched out the normals and I was seeing into the backside of the mesh, but as I look at it closer, it seems that it is somehow reversing the draw order. Faces that should be blocked by the faces in front of them are drawn on top. But only some of them? Some are drawn normal, and, well, it's all kinds of weird garbage, so here's a picture showing what is happening, compared with how it looks with just the alignment texture.

I have not encountered this before. What is happening?

Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    Check up on my progress at:
    marscaleb.com

Looks like something is throwing out the transparency sorting. Is there any input to the transparency channel for this texture and if so what does it look like?

Both Viewport 2.0 and High Quality Viewport have options to change how transparency sorting is handled, might be worth a look (version dependent).
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

There IS a transparency, and if I swap out the texture for one without the transparency, the problem goes away. Of course, this model was designed to have a transparency, so...

The transparency is just connected to "Material.transparency," and I don't know how to find any more options for that. I also don't see options for adjusting my viewport settings, other than "normal quality" and "high quality," and only high quality seems to have settings, none of which involve transparency.

Of course, part of the problem is that I'm still running a very out-dated version of Maya; 8.0. I'm too poor to be able to get a newer version, and too stubborn to switch to Blender (yet.)
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Can you show your UV map(s) and the image that's plugged into .transparency?

The UV map:

Although after getting this rough texture on there, I found some various things I need to change, once I have the time to do so. Also I need to redesign the geometry for the tail.

Here's the network, as for when I first uploaded the image:

The transparency is actually just taken from the original PNG file, and Maya grabbed that information without me specifying.
    When you mentioned a problem with the transparency I made a new version that had no alpha and used a second image for the mask. It produced the same problem but only when I used high quality rendering, as the default rendering doesn't use transparency (apparently though, only when I have a separate image for the mask data.)

Also worth mentioning: This only is a problem with hardware rendering, so, really just when I am working on it. If I try to make a final-quality rendering with Mental Ray it is fine, and I doubt I will see any problems when I port this into a game engine. That being said, I still want to get this working right because I need to be able to properly preview how this is going to look at this step, where it is going to be easiest to find all the issues I need to change.
    Last edited by Marscaleb; 09-16-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Read my Webcomic:
    maytiacomic.com
    marscaleb.com

Does 8.0 have the options for Object/Polygon Transparency Sorting in the Viewports Shading menu?
    Give them a try if so