Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Nelon's MMO Development code - chapter 12

In the playtest and the introduction to chapter 12 we saw that Nelson had done development beyond the code and videos he released.

We saw an example of Nelson actually getting 2 characters into a game and seeing each other and running around. That was the stated aim of chapter 12.

I am wondering if this development code could be released with the view to using it as a basis to actually allow us to finish chapter 12 by ourselves.

Perhaps I could be trusted to get the code working to get it into the released project with the aim of releasing the code and steps necessary to complete the chapter. Nelson and 3dBuzz owe me nothing, but I'd like the chance to help finish the chapter without placing a large burden on Nelson.

I'd like to remind folks that this project was fairly unique, and I believe there is a benefit to getting it working.
    Last edited by oldngrey; 04-04-2017 at 07:14 AM.

awesome post

results 2017 |

exam result

Hey!

As soon as we deal with Google's changes to Chrome that affect the video player, I'll take this up with Nelson and see what I can put together. Thanks man!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjc2112 View Post
    Hey!

As soon as we deal with Google's changes to Chrome that affect the video player, I'll take this up with Nelson and see what I can put together. Thanks man!

Steve
    Hi steve, that would be appreciated, specially if he give the project after fixing the changes that came with photon. right now, the mmo project is a sitting dock in a video that is not useful for any person who had followed all those videos, and honestly, for many of us (myself included) network stuff on Unity is not as easy as it is for nelson, I tried my hand on fixing the project at least from that last video, but even after two weeks of constantly trying, i was not able to because i don't know anything about photon itself and to be honest, nelson's videos where my way of learning about photon. I know that if nelson focus on the finished product and sit and try to fix the new photon changes, it won't take him more than 3-6 hours the most, honestly, it's a bad reputation on 3dbuzz to go this deep into a project and leave it mid way like that.
    I know that my tutorials are not finished yet, but as i told you in email, i have more than few things to deal with right now. the moment i get my hands free, that is when another wave of tutorials will be recorded and hopefully, the chapter two will be finished and people will have a fully functional behavior tree system.
    If you want to learn something, start teaching about it to others, nothing will help you more than that !

This would be great as I also have been in this class from the very start and continue to study both the videos and the codebase to get this to a working state so I can add and build a working MMO. I have done other projects but this has been by far the best because it consideration of all the components to building a MMO.

Last night i got this working with minimal changes. Created a NetworkTransform object type that uses the same changed flags we have used in the past to not send more data then needed. Added simple "delta compression" to it. Created a new System GameMovementSystem to handle RPCs. This could easily go in the GameInfoSystem instead to make it simpler.

Then i just needed to create the unity parts. A simple character controller and a proxy controller that are being tracked and updated / updating though the new system. I could clean this up and post it if anyone is interested.

am385 - I would indeed be interested, but just the same I'd love to see what Nelson had in mind - he mentioned many times in chapter 11 that he would use a more efficient serializer for player movement and I still wonder if he ever got around to putting one in his development stuff.
    Have a quick look in the intro video Nelson did to chapter 12 and you see lots of screens of his code. It didn't look as lean as what you describe

In any case I am glad that I will be able to finish my little commentary series about the MMO project- with either your help or Nelson's. The MMO may indeed survive and maybe inspire an actual game!

am385, I would also be interested.

Oldngrey, I have been studying the Intro to chapter 12 and writing what code I can see with the hope that I will be able to fill in the blanks.
    The only way to fail is to give up or die...

So I am at the point where Nelson is talking about the GameEngine.cs is this something we need as well?
    The only way to fail is to give up or die...

Ok I have gone through the Chapter 12 Intro many times and have written as much of the code as I could not sure if it is enough to get Avatars moving.

My question is can I post it here and we can figure out how to best merge it into our project?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast