animation baking on ik driven splines

Hi

I have a number of splines with spline IK control modifier on them, and enable in viewport and renderer checked to give the impression of a hose. I have then added ik HI solvers to the point helpers created by the spline IK control modifier.

After animating the IK chain, the splines are animated nicely. The problem is I need to collapse all of the splines into one object and maintain the animation provided by the IK solvers, so I can add a flex modifier to give the impression of a rubber hose.

I've tried adding an edit poly modifier to each spline and then flex followed by a point cache modifier, but when I click disable modifiers below the animation is lost...presumably the point cache doesnt work when the animation is provided by a parent.

I've also tried duplicating the splines and helpers and then collapsing to an editable mesh, followed by adding a skin wrap to the collapsed mesh, then adding each of the splines as skin wrap parameters...but this doesnt work either, I dont see any animation on the skin wrapped object.

I also tried exporting as fbx with baked animation, but the splines dont export to the resulting fbx file.

So my question is, how do I bake the resulting ik driven animation directly into the splines, so I can delete the IK rig/helpers.

Cheers

Mik.

On a side note....I havn't visited 3d buzz for about 10 years, where has all the forum content gone? I can still access old posts from my control panel, but the forum seems to have non of the old threads anymore.

**edit, oh there's a dropdown box to limit how many threads are shown now. Still, there doesnt seem to be much activity anymore. Shame, this was the best site on the internet back when I was browsing daily...way back in 2003-2008!

Where did everyone go?! **
    Last edited by majicmonk; 12-23-2016 at 05:08 PM.

I've discovered i'm able to use the flex directly on the editable spline by using weights and springs rather than edge verts. This is good as a temporary measure, but I still cant use point cache so it's not ideal.

Also, how do you animate the flex's center point so that I can get it to follow the rigged spline?

Cheers

Mik
    Last edited by majicmonk; 12-24-2016 at 03:32 AM.

How's Jason by the way?