Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Important announcement from 3D Buzz

As many of you may have noticed, there have been some changes happening lately on the website and a much-needed explanation is deserved.

3D Buzz has had great success for the past 12 years offering many different educational experiences. It has been there to help anyone who could not afford to pay for an expensive education and has given countless students classroom opportunities otherwise unattainable. However, as with the normal flow of time, people get sick, people move on, or people find new opportunities to follow which we have all witnessed during the many years of this companies life. During this last year and a half, 3D Buzz has relied on just two people for content creation and the upkeep of the company. They have stayed this long because they didn't want to give up on the members that have grown to be a part of our family.

Over the past few years, Nelson and Steve became the backbone of the company, trying to stay on top of everything and keep the company going all on their own. Unfortunately, this has just become too much for a couple people to accomplish and keep up with. Nelson has reached a point in his life where he has decided to pursue less stressful ventures. He will be streamlining the company and giving out the source code to the MMO for anyone that has had over a years member sponsorship and has promised to finish what he has started and wrap things up in the meantime. Steve still volunteers his free time helping out the 3D Buzz members by working on his class and special projects trying to help keep things running smoothly.

In light of these new developments, I am now looking for other options to keep the company going. One of the options I've considered is opening up the doors to content creators who would like to get 100% of the profits for selling their content on the site and allowing the company streaming access of said content for member sponsors only to view. Any money made from the member sponsors would be the only income going to the company to continue paying for the servers which would keep the company running thus allowing new content to be added often. I am not positive on the logistics of how this would work yet and any suggestions would be welcome.

I have also considered selling the company, because, with just a couple of content creators and new management, I believe the company can breathe life again. There is still hope of continuing one person's dream of helping educate the world. I am extending an invitation to all the members, giving the first opportunity to discuss purchasing this company to one of you, therefore keeping it in the family.
    We will only be soliciting serious offers, however, and hope everyone can appreciate the sensitivity in regards to Jason's health and these decisions.

In order to keep things simplistic during this time of transition, we will be changing out Annual Memberships to Monthly memberships effective immediately, with adjustment for term remaining on the annual membership. A notice will be sent out to all of our member sponsors as well as announcements regarding membership dues and any further information that you are requiring.

I am open to any suggestions or feedback from anyone willing to help make this site great again. Thank you for your support over the years, your friendship, and your dedication to keeping the dream alive as long as you have.

My heartfelt thanks and appreciation to you all,
    Angela Busby
    Angela Busby
    Email: angela@3dbuzz.com
    PM (Private Message): Angela
    Need help with store orders, please PM me!

Thank you for the update, Angela.
    "I don't WANT to pet the chicken."

I am here in any way I can be, I am a professional developer and can offer my services for free if it will help 3DBuzz stay where it is.
    My 3DS Max Sprite Sheet Renderer
    A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Angela,

First I would like to say thank you to 3D Buzz and I am truly sorry, as I know first hand what cancer does to everyone's life's that it touches and now you must decide how to move forward. I know that 3D Buzz has much content although my focus all these years has been the MMO class, thank you to Nelson for his completing this class and the source code for me this will be of great help as I have been stuck for six weeks and going over and over the videos has yet to show my error, but that is not the reason for this post.

Like you and many of us we worry about your future and the content that is 3D Buzz, I would hate to see it sold. I am not sure about this but you asked for suggestions so here is mine.

I am not even sure if it is possible to save 3D buzz but if you were to review all the content into smaller bites add more commentary to explain it that would increase the amount of the contents value. Please don't take what I am about to say wrong as it is just my suggestion of just one way for you to continue too be able to earn income from all the years of work and very good material.

If it is possible for 3D Buzz to fold into another site like CG Cookie they are mostly about the Art side of content so 3D Buzz would be a great addition of content on the code side that they are lacking. Again I am not sure if this helpful but just a suggestion, I wish that I had the money to buy 3D Buzz and invest into it.

Sincerely, MJ Trottier

One idea would be to reduce the site down to "download only" and make it all available for purchase in reasonable size packages for X amount of dollars per package. This way you can contract developers for new content and not have to retain anyone. You can probably lower your server bill in the process. Poll the forums for what content is needed and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by joepug View Post
    One idea would be to reduce the site down to "download only" and make it all available for purchase in reasonable size packages for X amount of dollars per package. This way you can contract developers for new content and not have to retain anyone. You can probably lower your server bill in the process. Poll the forums for what content is needed and go from there.
    Hey that is also a good idea and if like some software I have license too the video could when you run it just ping a server to verify that you have a license which would not be too hard for Nelson to make a container like the asset store that of unity, you download the 3D Buzz app that is a store choose the first free video that is the outline of a course then buy each video and only get the source when you buy the next in the series.

Also you can have it set up to allow people to sell content and 3D Buzz takes a cut that is in my opinion why Unity is so successful.

Like for me I have learned so much here but sometimes I get really stuck and would pay if someone made a video to explain how to solve a problem or better understand how a project works. Example in the MMO class even though Nelson explains what he is doing much of the time it goes right over my head and I just trust him that it will work. So I would pay for content of someone that explains what Nelson taught.

Nelson if you read this you are an Awesome teacher but I sometimes need more, now I know you might be thinking did he not look at the C# 101. A good question but sometimes it is hard to make the right connections. So yes I would pay for more content and I would do it for one video at a time vs a bundle. Now I know that some would just want to buy the bundle to get the full source and I guess that would be fine but you don't learn much that way so I would make it that you get the source from each section, what I mean is the last video is only the source added in the section so that way you would have to link each videos source code as you go along and if you run into a problem and get the source in the next video you can then check the source against your own work.

MJ Trottier

Thank you for the update.

From the suggestions you made, the only one that could really revive 3DBuzz again would be to sell the company IMO. I only see positives here.

3DBuzz needs a professional and extensive overhaul from various angles and I don't see that happening with the plans conceived above. Some serious money needs to be taken in the hand to give this website a comeback.

Ideally a company should buy 3DBuzz which promises to continue creating the kind of training that has been provided here throughout all the years. This site should not transform into yet another Pluralsight/Digital Tutors style site where mostly 2-6 hours training packages are sold which teach mostly the basics or here and there some advanced stuff. 3DBuzz has always offered much more in depth and extensive training than that and whoever would buy 3DBuzz should commit to this path.

What makes the least sense is relying on external people to upload content (like Udemy?). This would likely create an awful mixture in quality and would really alienate 3DBuzz from what it has always been.

I truly hope this company will stay alive, but please don't let it transform into a company that just makes enough money to pay the server bills.

The fact is, Jason and crew are/were 3DBuzz. In order to bring this community back and make it profitable will take adopting the same spirit that Busby has. I am not sure any one person can do that... Free education for those that can't afford it and supported by sponsors who are more or less like family... having news, nightly shows/call-ins, the whole community interaction made you feel like you were apart of the cause... if all that is left or will ever be left is a directory of content.... then I say it be turned into a time capsule of sorts, with all the content ever created as a subscription-based streaming system... including the old shows and radio feeds etc.. I am still hoping and praying Jason will make a come back. If anyone can he can!
    My 3DS Max Sprite Sheet Renderer
    A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BakerCo View Post
    The fact is, Jason and crew are/were 3DBuzz. In order to bring this community back and make it profitable will take adopting the same spirit that Busby has. I am not sure any one person can do that... Free education for those that can't afford it and supported by sponsors who are more or less like family... having news, nightly shows/call-ins, the whole community interaction made you feel like you were apart of the cause... if all that is left or will ever be left is a directory of content.... then I say it be turned into a time capsule of sorts, with all the content ever created as a subscription-based streaming system... including the old shows and radio feeds etc.. I am still hoping and praying Jason will make a come back. If anyone can he can!
    Of course you can't expect a company which buys 3DBuzz to put out tons of free content. Also, most of the good stuff here is paid content,too, and the member sponsorship isn't exactely cheap either. 3DBuzz isn't that all-for-free site anymore that it maybe once used to be (don't know, haven't been a member that long), it's a business and as such needs to generate revenue.
    I am totally fine with content only available for paying customers in case 3Dbuzz gets bought. I prefer that anytime over 3Dbuzz closing its doors forever or like you suggested making a subscription based nostalgia streaming system out of it. The latter of course won't work as the content here is not timeless and needs to be updated. A few years from now nobody would care about such dated content.

If Jason survives his battle against cancer, I doubt he will put much love into 3DBuzz. He has long pursued other paths.
    Last edited by BigSwopa; 10-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.

I have been having incredibly bad seizures in the last 6 weeks, I had just started a new job, about 5 days into it, 3 of which where non-paid training days when I had an astronomically bad grand-mal seizure alone in my bedroom. My parents, where away on holiday in south america, although they live some 100km (70miles) away anyway. As a result I lay there for about 3 days without any food or much water. When I slowly became more lucid I gradually began the painstaking process of piecing my shattered memory back together after about a week I had managed to roughly string my long term memory back into place, alas the short term memories proved a tad more elusive. Gradually over the proceeding few weeks things slowly slotted back into place. I stumbled upon a folder on my bookshelf that held a sketch pad with some notes and anatomical drawings; this triggered a memory that took me back to reading a post on the message board about members supplying their own training videos, I had slowly begun to do my own 2d drawing series. After this has finished I will link you to it.
    - Knotty Boy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast