Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photography Contest LI: Survival

The theme is "Survival"
    The subject in the picture should have anything to do with survival, endurance, pulling through, etc.

The Deadline is 19th October23:59 GTM+1

For those of you wondering when that'll be in your local timezone, just go here: http://wwp.centraleuropeantime.com/

What are the rules?

No photoshopping allowed, besides cropping and changing a picture to B&W or Sepia, and making panoramas.
    Post production editing is allowed. The editing done should be global, such as contrast, brightness, or overal tonal balancing (i.e. no sponge/dodge/burn, no brushes, vignetting, etc). Filters are prohibited. Any global editing should be used only to enhance the features that were captured in the shot to begin with. The only exception is converting to B&W or sepia.

Tell us what you did, unless it's staring us right in the face, in which case you probably shouldn't have done it ^^

If you want to, feel free to share your settings and how you arrived at your final photo.

What equipment do I need?

Well, as long as it can capture light and produce an image you can share with others, be it a analog camera, digital camera or maybe a cellphone camera, you are good to go.

How do we submit the pictures?

By posting them here in this thread. To make things easier for all of us, the kind and superior being that is mr_charisma has supplied a 3dbuzz photo contest script that magically makes your images 3dbuzz-forum-friendly! I suggest using that, but you are of course free to choose any imagehost you like!

For those that intend to use the magic that mr_charisma conjured, the link is http://www.20papercups.net/image_upload

If there are any questions, just ask here.

Now let the photography commence!
    Ray's random graphic work visit my blog ;.)

I remember someone posted a nice photo of a couple of birds where one had a worm in it's beak. Am I hallucinating or has someone deleted it?
    (it's a pity, it was a nice picture)

Yep. There was an image posted with some birds. Either there wasn't (and I am also hallucinating) or somebody deleted their entry

My temporary(?) entry is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_entry_bw.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	494.3 KB 
ID:	74661  

Good, at least I'm not imagining things

thanks for the picture florem, interesting idea

Please consider adding your take on this current contest.

@Ray I am still waiting for your entry.

Hi guys, I've been in Thailand for two weeks and have lots of interesting pictures. This one fits the theme well. It's from a canal in Bangkok. When people close their markets, they throw some breadcrumbs and other food in the water and the water starts to boil with huge fish. I was really shocked that this is what it looks like in the center of Bangkok.

About the contest, I will have to reconsider again. I know I neglected the contest during the last few month and I am not sure that it makes sense to continue. I still take lots of pictures and I am sure that most of you do too. There is just something about finding time to take the right picture for the theme which means that most of us don't. However, I would still like to share pictures with you, this has always been my favorite community on the internet.

I guess that I would like to have something like a journal where people would share a photo once in a while... maybe once a month, maybe whenever they felt like its worth sharing or that there is an interesting story behind it. On the other hand, with no deadlines and theme, this could mean that nobody would ever post anything and everyone could easily forget.... so I don't really know what to do next. I don't want to completely lose touch with you and anyone who looks at the contests.

What do you guys think?

Yes i like that. For me photography is a bit arty, so adhering to a particular topic stifles my process. I had uploaded this photo earlier, but since it is nearly five years old i took it down.

i am currently trying to build a game in Unity, so i'm not doing much with the camera. However i have over 3000 photos on the PC, so some of them might be worth displaying on a thread somewhere, although i will always try and get new photos.
    Last edited by freddyhard; 12-12-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: changing photo to embed instead of link
    When in Rome, don't laugh at the Romans

I said before that I like this format. It forces you, the person doing the point and click, to tell a story framed by a certain topic given to you. It is, imho, a good exercise to get out of the comfort zone and really think.

However as mentioned above it also takes time to "hunt" for that great shot and to "ponder" whether it qualifies for the contest at hand or if it is worthy as a submission at a second glance.

I am still up for participating in the contest but to ignore the obvious - dwindling numbers, time constraints, big time gaps - is rather hard.

---

An idea (a bit far fetched)

Maybe we could make a group on social media platform and show what was shared between the 51 renditions. every day / 2 days share another contest and the submissions from that given contest and see if it garners "outside interest / participation". This should be in parallel with the upcoming and running bi-month contest(?). In this manner people will be able to partake if it peaks their interest.

The main issues with the above idea are:
    - there should be a method to tie it with this site. (Suggestions?)
    - there should be a voting system that is not embedded in the social platform but rather here(?).
    - permissions should be asked from those that submitted their entries in this community; some might not respond in a useful time span or might not respond at all;

---

@freddyhard
    Care to provide more details regarding the game that you are trying to make?

So what if we did a "suggested" or optional theme for the contest?

We could have one month as usual but we could submit any picture as long as the author thinks this is the best photo he took this month. There would also be a theme to give some direction and inspiration but it wouldn't needed to enter the contest.

Hopefully this would mean that there are more pictures and the contests are more frequent. The only flaw I see is that there wouldn't be any price for the winner. I guess I could count points?

@florem:
    The game is a tank shoot'em up type of game with a hint of realism. i built a 2D tank shooter about 4 years ago, so i'm attempting a 3D version now.

As for the photographing, i really have no ideas. All i do is go out and see what i see. Sometimes i head to an area or an event with intentions of getting certain types of shots, but i'm not good at making plans.
    Last edited by freddyhard; 12-13-2016 at 10:40 AM. Reason: syntax
    When in Rome, don't laugh at the Romans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast