need help in choosing render farm

Hello,everyone.I am an animator.Last Friday my boss asked me to find a reasonable render farm for a heavy rendering project.But there are so many big and small render farms online,that I am just confused which one should be choosed.

Has someone used any online render farm before?If you did,please tell me some features of them, you know that the information on their websites are always not very clearly.Thanks very much.

Our software is 3ds max 2009 and maya.And if my post doesn't belong here,please forgive me.

angelia Guest
    Hello,amile.
    I have used three different online render farms before.Hope these information can make a help.

Rebusfarm (http://www.rebusfarm.net)
    They use Renderpoints to calculate .Firstly, I have to install 3ds max or maya before using. And my task was lost when I logged in the client on other PC. Also I can’t close the client even I finish uploading and this causes some troubles to me. But they have android and ISO client.
    Sometimes, users can get a better access to their service.

Renderrocket (http://www.renderrocket.com)
    Calculate based on credit, The lower the task priority, the more credits you can get. The more you prepay, the lower you have to pay for credits.
    But their policy is unstable.

Foxrenderfarm (http://www.foxrenderfarm.com)
    A new render farm, the page looks simple, but their cost-calculating way is relatively easy. You can get USD$ 20 when you register. My company has choosed this service before,pretty good.

I personally think the idea of using an online render farm is just a bad idea, cost and logistics wise. If something goes wrong, or doesn't turn out right, there's no re-do's. In a perfect world your scene is always good to go on the first run, but sometimes that just doesn't happen.

But since I've never used an online render service I can't comment too much on them.

If you can convince your boss to buy a render farm it'd be money well spent. I'd recommend Boxx Tech.
    Last edited by Command0-182; 04-26-2012 at 05:07 AM.

Well,as Command0-182 said above,I just can't agree.Some online render farm are powerful, you can observe your rendering stage at any time,and make a change whenever you want.This is why they named their service online render farm!
    I have used two render farms before,rebus and Foxrenderfarm.
    Hope this can help you.

angelia Guest
    I am a art student in Tailand,recently I need to render my schoolwork, I use MAYA, but due day is coming, I still have thousands of frames to render, I have to seek help from internet, everybody was talking about rebusfarm, but rebusfarm don't accept student projects and no student package, I do not have enough budget there, only Fox renderfarm give me an discount, there is some internet transport issues, but they still try hard to solve.
    Therefore I hope each render farm company could consider about our students' demand, althrough we cannnot create a lot of benefit immediately, we still a protential power in future, Pl. cherish our requirements.

The best possible scenario for a render farm is always having one on-site, but as I have experienced, that simply is not possible sometimes. This is where external render farms come in to it.

They key thing is to use a service that:
    1. Communicates well
    2. Provides excellent support
    3. Has good policies on errors, and
    4. Is not automated

What you should always do is develop a relationship with a render farm service. It's not as simple as submit and reap the benefits. You should talk to someone in the company who knows about this stuff. Do your research, and ask every question you can think of, including what should happen if a render error occurs. The artist is usually responsible for their own content, so if you submit a job to be rendered and you left something turned on or off when you didn't mean to, that's your fault and re-rendering will cost you. If, on the other hand, everything is fine and they send you garbled images, then they should re-render gratis.

Give them as much information as you can. Things like:

• Software used (Maya, Max, etc)
    • Renderer used (Mental Ray, Renderman, VRay, etc)
    • Frame size (eg 1920x1080)
    • Number of frames
    • Render passes (if applicable, and also be sure to mention even if using a multipass filetype like EXR)
    • Your file output requirements (TIF/TGA/PNG/EXR, bit-depth, folder structure)
    • Deadline and priority -- be as honest as possible about the priority

The best one I have used is http://www.rendernation.com/ What I particularly liked about working with them is that they perform a test-render to evaluate the cost of the final render (an estimate, as every project is different), and to show you the quality of your render(s). Their communication was top-notch, prices were fair, my renders were done in under an hour, as opposed to the weeks of render time my humble workstation would have required.

If you do not like the available options for render farms, you could potentially approach a company that has a large internal render farm of their own. I wouldn't recommend this option unless you have a good relationship with that company, but I find that a lot of companies are open to the idea of putting idle servers to use if they can make some money out of it.

All in all, there is one piece of advice that you need to keep in mind when submitting final renders to an external render farm, and that is to understand the word FINAL in the phrase "Final Render"!
    ... one pixel at a time
    TomHauville.com slash Portfolio