Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Designing my own Lamp, then build it

Hello everybody!

I'm back again!

So for a class project, I am going to be designing a lamp in 3D, and then I'm going to be looking to make it, afk.

The lamp needs to be of a modernist design influence. So I'm focusing on simplicity as well as line & form.

Let me know what you think.

Alright, got a new update. Took me like 2 hours to find out the light bulb I was gonna use. I tried to find a manufacture that gave out AutoCAD models of their light bulbs but... oh well.

Anyway, hopefully I'll have it in physical form soon enough.

Here's another quick update. Nothing too significant, just played with the render settings and tried to make the photometric max light resemble the real one as closely as possible.

I have a few design concerns.

Firstly, you seem to address this in everything but your last render; your shade is sitting under the frame in a way that doesn't looks capable of holding it in place. I assume the little clips on the frame are meant to hold in in place. IN which case it actually needs to be in the clips, but I assume this is just a bump or similar. You would also want some sort of recess in the shade into which those clips would sit in order to prevent the shade sliding around on your, what looks like, steel frame.

In addition I didn't see you set up any sort of internal lamp support connected to the frame. You will need this if you plan on physically producing it. I'd also make a point that the frame material would have to be heavy duty steal or similar to be that thin, you might want to beef it up a touch.

Lastly I see a distinct lack of power connector for the lamp, seeing how you orientated the lamp inside it might now be quite difficult to accommodate a power line and not look strange.

Other that that, it's quite a nice shape. Any thoughts towards the material of the shade?

I like the look of the lamp and it also appears that you have taken to heart that you have to make it. That is reflected in the simplicity of design. How much detail are you supposed to provide in the 3D model to reflect the actual product? When I was in manufacturing the CAD designers had to go to an extreme amount of detail right down to specifying chamfer radii on edges and screw holes. If so you might want to continue drilling down adding more detail, maybe even showing welds.

To go a little further on NATOs comments is the lamp sitting on a rectangular metal frame which is attached to the main frame pieces? Also as NATO pointed out the weight of the shade/electrical components might be too much for the frame. Even if that were high tensile steel it still looks too thin to me as well.

Over all I like the design. Even though the base takes up some space you could place things underneath (laptop, book, etc) and accommodate.
    Code Fearlessly!

Thanks so much for the input guys!

I have another WIP video up of me doing some more work on it.

@NATO
    Yeah, I've made some changes to the way it's all held together. I haven't added the place for the power connector yet though. In time I'll be adding on a place for the bulb to be held in place and another place for the light socket & wire.

@smjones, the lamp is supposed to resemble the modernist era, so really there isn't supposed to be a lot of ornamentation. My model has to reflect the design philosophies of the modernist era of of the particular designer I choose, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe; the guy who said, "Less is more."

Here is an updated pic.

Last edited by Command0-182; 04-21-2012 at 05:03 AM.

New update!

So finally I've got a place to hold the light socket, and another place for the wire to come in and hook into it.

Last edited by Command0-182; 04-23-2012 at 04:58 AM.

I am looking for places that do 3dprinting. So far, I've a couple places in mind, but if anyone has any suggestions for where I can print these parts, please let me know.

Right now I think my best bet might be, 3DProparts.

That will cost a bomb to 3d print. Find some high grade steal and learn to weld.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    That will cost a bomb to 3d print. Find some high grade steal and learn to weld.
    Having it printed is my only option. I don't have time to learn to weld, besides I don't have the equipment either.

Other than that, what do you think of it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast