Ingame interactive computer screen with text

Hi,

I have been thinking about starting a project that will require in-game terminals that allow for user interaction.
    I will need to have it display text that can look like an old DOS screen or a Unix terminal. I am having trouble determining what the best method of doing something like this would be and would appreciate any guidance. The user will have to be able to enter certain commands like typing a code or sending a fake chat msg and I need to be able to control the output so that it looks like they are interacting with a real computer (It does not need to be a real computer though hehe)

PS: I do have UnityPro if that makes a difference for this type of project.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Terry

I really don't know how much experience you have, or if you have done the unity fundamentals. But I believe you can create a scene, which will function as that monitor screen ui, place it on the monitor model, and go from there. I can't help though as I really have no idea what I'm doing.
    I'm so negative, like an electron.

Thanks IronSoul! You bring up a good point -Might help if people know my skill level with Unity, it is intermediate. I know the fundamentals and have gone through about half of the MMO material back when I was still in the class and seemed to understand it ok (Well most of it LOL).

Is there a method of playing a scene within a scene? I may have missed that, I know you can do different cameras and render to materials, that is one way I am currently looking at it. Hopefully this is a challenge that others have faced and can share any ideas (not looking for code or anything, although that would not be frowned upon! )

Do you think that render texture may be the way to go on this?

Thanks,

Terry

Are you wanting this to be on a object or a UI element?

I have the effect working through using awesomium but have decided that this is not what I want to do and am instead going to just use movies to do the trick. That way if I ever want to run it in the web player it will still work.

Thanks,

Terry

This should be possible using stock Unity. It's not all that different from the interactive 3D chat interface we prototyped at one point. I believe I set that up using text meshes. You could add one of those to your object, position it overlayed on the "screen", and modify the text as necessary. Obviously, that's an oversimplified explanation, but I think you can get an acceptable result from it and it should work in the web player

If you want true interactive input and output, like he can write what ever he want, you cold go the spritesheet route, make a spritesheet containg all letters, numbers and symbols you wold need. then have a grid on the "monitor" in game that you are looping through your spritesheet and "Writing/drawing on the monitor grid" as he is typing.

But do this only if you want true interactive, if you only need like he selects "1 - Do This, 2 - Do That" then just simple images wold be good enough, just render the new image everytime he makes a new selection.
    Last edited by zflowerz; 04-10-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Wow thanks for the input, I am going to take a look at both methods mentioned above. I think at first the interactive 3D chat may be the way to go, but as I progress in the design of this project I am seeing more need of a truly interactive interface as mentioned by zflowerz. Looks like I have some serious homework now Thank you all for your time and input!

Terry

Hello everyone!

I am currently trying to create this and need some help!
    I am stuck on how i would actually create the text on the "GameObject" and actually make it react to the keyboard..
    Did you find a solution Terry, if yes could i see it?

I know the topic is old, but maybe i will get lucky!

- SnoX

I actually ended up using a work-around and used ngui due to time constraints. The solution was not exactly what I was looking for so I may revisit this task once the first episode of merl mcpenrite has been released to the public.