Blender 101 - Week 3 - Problem Baking Ambient Occlusion Texture

Hello,

After creating the texture, setting the Gather settings to 5 (for a preview) or 16 (for a final bake), I click the Bake button and can visually see the texture generation. However, after this process completes, the texture is 1024x1024 flat black. I have tried to resolve this myself, but I am stuck.

Can anyone help me out with this?

During the Bake:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blender1.png 
Views:	327 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	72615

After the Bake:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blender.png 
Views:	270 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	72616
    Last edited by nunz; 03-29-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Formatting

Is it happening immediately after the bake finishes?

Only things I can come up with:

Make sure the material you have set to the character is set on the proper texture. (Not likely the problem but can't hurt)

With the character selected and in edit mode, hit the X next to the name of the texture to unlink it. Press A and make sure your whole character is selected (if not press A again), then repick the texture from the list.

The only thing so far I've been able to do to reproduce anything like this situation is having 2 textures mapped in edit mode to the same model. So there might be something you aren't seeing with the wrong map on it, and the part of the texture you're trying to get baked into is in a dark spot for whatever reason.

Also, double check the other textures in the list to see if you can find something that has the bake information on it at all.

Attaching my .blend file, if that helps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/407604/nunz_Week3.blend

Ok, I see what's going on. It doesn't seem like you unwrapped the plane you used that covers up behind the button. So because those planes are covering everything, the baking undoes itself because it's writing over the same information.

Edit:
    Correction - it "is" the button that isn't unwrapped. I was looking at it without the subsurf on
    Last edited by Haledire; 03-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Thank you much, Haledire. Your help is very much appreciated! You saved me some grief!

As a follow-up question-- how did you find that so quickly? How do you identify what is unwrapped and what isn't?

I simply selected the whole model then selected everything in the UV editor. Everything that's selected will highlight the faces in the UV editor and fill it with a certain transparent color. There were actually enough faces overlapping that the whole editor lit up like a flashlight. Typically when you have a UV map that isn't unwrapped, every face will take up the whole image space.

(Quick way to see this in action - add a cube to the scene. Rather than hit U and unwrap it, go the object data section in the Properties Panel and scroll down to UV maps. Click the + button there to add a UV map to the object. Go to edit mode of the cube and pull up the UV editor. All you will see is an outlined box with all of the vertices at the corners of the image area).

After finding that there were faces not unwrapped, I simply turned on the UV and 3D View sync button in the UV editor, used the "brush select" ( C key in the UV editor) and brushed over the verts at the edge of the image space to find where they are on the model.
    Last edited by Haledire; 03-29-2012 at 04:52 PM.