Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is every download corrupted on my Mac?!

I got my iMac yesterday. First thing I tried to do was software update. I had to do the update 5 times before it finally said the update packages weren't corrupted.

Then I tried to download Xcode. That only took 4 times before the download was ok and would install.

Now I'm trying to download Unity, and I'm on my 9th time downloading it. It either says it is corrupted or invalid checksum.

I can download a file on my PC's right now and they don't get corrupted so it doesn't seem like it's an ISP problem. Is there some setting I'd need to change in my router that could possibly be bad for my Mac? I have never owned a Mac before so I really don't know anything about it. Also, I am not using the Mac on wireless right now.
    Last edited by DigitalDemigod; 03-17-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Not to scare you but it could be RAM or possible HD issue.

I setup XCode on 2 new apple computers in last month and all downloads and installs went flawlessly via the appstore.

Yeh, I'd be sending that machine straight back. It's nice that MacOS does integrity-check .dmg files, but I've never seen one fail in a few years of using it, so something serious must be wrong with your machine.

I'm running a disk check on it now. I'll see if I can find some more diagnostics I can run on it though.

I'm really not sure what's going on. I'd completely forgotten that when I was trying to run Snow Leopard on my Win7 laptop using Virtual Box, I was also unable to download anything through that. It would almost finish and then say it was corrupted. I just chalked that up to issues due to using a VM to run the OS.

Alright, I actually reset my router to defaults and rebuilt all my settings for it, and I was able to update the mac and download some other files without any problems. However, Unity always gives an invalid checksum error. I see someone else posted on Unity forums about it.
    Last edited by DigitalDemigod; 03-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

It is possible that your network equipment is to blame, but I think that is kind of far fetched.
    Unless it is really... reeeally cheap/old stuff.
    I had a similar problem some time ago with Windows machines, due to a really crap
    (or maybe even half broken) switch that couldn't handle two computers surfing the web at the same time.

Can you swap out some gear? Maybe remove a router/switch/wireless point and see if stuff is still broken?

As far as I understand, Windows doesn't have error checking on downloads, (at least not default?)
    so you might download corrupted files on your Windows machine too, only you can't tell.
    Last edited by Adantes; 03-18-2012 at 10:46 AM.

My router is a Dlink DGL4500, it's only a year old. I do also use a Netgear gigabit switch, but I bypassed that by putting the Mac on the wireless.

True, Windows doesn't have error checking, but I downloaded Unity and was able to install it. The Mac isn't/wasn't letting me do anything. Actually I just tried on the Mac again, and when it started checking the Unity dmg file, I hit skip, and it installed just fine.

I've also now got Xcode4 installed and I've been able to get all the software updates done. It seems to only have problems with certain dmg files now. I downloaded Xcode 3 so that I could follow Buzz's videos a little better and I keep getting invalid checksum on that. I tried skipping error checking on this one too, but the install fails. It's very weird that even with Xcode4 I had to download it several times before it passed error checking and allowed it to install.

At least I have most things working now. Just annoyed about having to jump through hoops.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Well I decided to reinstall Lion since I am still having issues. The Lion install is giving tons of errors about file validation failing. Apple Support has been no help. They just tell me to bring it to an Apple Store.

I'm exchanging this thing with Amazon. This is crazy to have a week old computer with all these problems. I've had more problems with this thing in a week than I've had PC problems in a year.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

Don't you have a local Apple Store? Buy it there.

Kind of far from me. I have Amazon Prime plus I had $50 in gift certificates plus it was $1132 there. In store it was 1199 I think. Works out a lot cheaper from Amazon.
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

From your Lion install nightmare it definitely seems like hardware issue (be it HD / RAM or Mobo). You never know what could have happened to your box during the shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast