Thread: Round Inset

Round Inset

Ok so its been well over 18 months since I have tried to model anything and boy does it show lol.

Trying to model a subway car (train), and ran into a small issues with creating the doors.

They have a window in them with rounded corners, so my first attempt I created the door out of a box then used insert edge loops to lay out the window, then deleted faces and extruded and merged, I tried bevelling the corners to round them out but this gave me some pinching and strange results, I got slightly better results turning fill ngons off but when I come to bevel the edgers around the window to round them it goes nasty lol.

So second attempt I tried extruding the face and just scaling it in but it still gave me nasty errors.

I want it to have rounded corners and bevelled edges so they dont look so sharp.

Whats the best way of achieving this?

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundInset.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	72532  
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Not sure about a 'best way' but my usual method for something like this is to:

Start with a polyPipe and delete all but the inner tube faces, arrange them as the corners. After that extrude out then append across to make a complete surface
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Current giveaway: Freelance Quixel suite (...working on details)

Ah so instead of modelling the whole in the door you model the door around the hole.

Cheers I'll give it a try, think I need to dig out my advanced modelling dvd and get some more practise lol.

So Ive had a play around this morning and as usual your right faux, it worked well.

I also tried another method of projecting a curve onto a nurbs surface then trimming the surface and converting to polygons, it worked quite well actually, but I think ill stick to your method.

Cheers again.

PS - Scripting is so much more fun than modelling lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roundInset2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	129.5 KB 
ID:	72533  

Looking good Mr Tom...

...now where's that w.i.p thread!?
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Current giveaway: Freelance Quixel suite (...working on details)

Haha I did consider it but then I got embarrassed by my modelling skills or lack off and also progress is very slow.

I'm still messing around with different methods of modelling in general, I'll start a thread if I ever finish modelling it as I want to create an animation for it as part of my show reel.