Google Rebrands and Renames Android Market to Google Play

The Android Market has slowly evolved to become much more than a place for vending Android applications, and today Google announced that it is rebranding the Android Marketplace to the somewhat more service-agnostic Google Play. It's a move that is sure to solicit some heated and perhaps valid opinions, given the solid foundation and mindshare that Google has carved out with the Android Marketplace brand to date.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5632/google-rebrands-and-renames-android-market-to-google-play

implies that it' mostly for games ... which is a little ofputting for non game developers. Maybe I'm just reading into it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
    implies that it' mostly for games ... which is a little ofputting for non game developers. Maybe I'm just reading into it too much.
    I got the same impression. Who knows, maybe in the near future they will change the Android phone to Google Gamer?

Thats a stupid name.

I'm not really sure why they felt the need to change the name, the Android marketplace made sense, because it associated itself with the platform, not any one particular developer. Oh well, we'll adjust and keep on trucking.
    Dangerous. Mute. Lunatic.
    <Toastage>: and you're like "Ey Joe it is Smismar, I am belgium, ishn't that veird. Fix mai internetz or I cut you yehs?"

Hmmm ..... makes me wonder if "Android" OS will soon become "Google" OS.

silly marketing bs

Quote Originally Posted by Harrysun View Post
    Hmmm ..... makes me wonder if "Android" OS will soon become "Google" OS.

silly marketing bs
    Exactly my friend!