Question - How do you make caves in unity?

Unity is great. It is the easiest terrain editor I have ever used. But one problem... (the question is in the title)

How do you make caves?

I am not really sure what the correct answer is to this question but I would just create my caves in a 3rd party 3D package rather than trying to use Unity's system. It is likely that you could use two terrains to get the effect you would want but I am not sure how the performance would be affected by this.

-Dane
    You know you want to!

With Unity's built in terrains you can't. You'll have to model your caves in an exterior program and shape your terrain around them in Unity and hide any anomalies with static meshes.

i was wondering about this.. thanks
    Please let me know when we are going to have some fun so I can pay attention.

I found this on a blog about a game being made in Unity3D, its originally written in Japanese, but this is the google translate link: http://translate.google.nl/translate...3Fdirect%3D243

Maybe it gives some idea's.
    Bug? That's not a bug, that's a feature.
    LinkedIn - Twitter (dutch) - Work (dutch)

Quote Originally Posted by Project-A View Post
    I found this on a blog about a game being made in Unity3D, its originally written in Japanese, but this is the google translate link: http://translate.google.nl/translate...3Fdirect%3D243

Maybe it gives some idea's.
    Nice find! So a basic rundown of the linked article: Mask a hole in your terrain, and then create and position another terrain. I would imagine it would still be difficult to create an "interior" look and feel with Unity's terrain editor, however (like cave tunnels or other terrain with walls and ceilings). Complex terrains like this would probably be better created in Maya or 3DS Max...

well, as far as i remember, you can not cut holes into unity terrain, this is silly , but anyways.

the way around this like stated above by chronos78 is to create your own mountain mesh with a cave inside of it, make sure is not below terrain altitude. and make sure the outside mountain matches the actual unity terrain textures so it will blend with it.

usually most other game engines haev this terrain feature to cut holes for adding caves etc.. but unity failed with this one.

Here is a link to a shader which will allow you to have terrain transparency. Adjust this to suit your needs. Place a trigger over the transparent "gap" in the terrain. When in the trigger, disable collision with the terrain. When out of the trigger, re-enable collision with terrain.
    ( ! ) Assets/_Scripts/TP_Camera.cs(50,35): BCE0000: WTF?

There's a plugin for this on the Asset Store: Terrain Hole System

Description: "This Unity extension lets you make holes in your terrain that characters and other objects can go through."

More information can be found on the forum thread.