apply a texture in zbrush 4

Hi guys!

I'm pretty new in zbrush and so sorry in advance if my question is very noob; I'm using zbrush 4 and I'm watching a video tutorial that shows how to apply a texture to the model (with the word "apply", I mean to do something like to map a texture to the color channel like it happens in Maya or 3DS). The tutorial shows he simply imports the texture from the texture menu and automatically the texture is applied to the model and then, in order to permanently apply the texture to the model, he goes to Texture (in the tool sub-menu) and texture to colors (Txr>Col).

My problem is when I try to do the same: 1) when I import the texture I can't see my texture applied to the model and 2) the Texture Map sub-menu in Zbrush 4, hasn't the Txr>Col buttom.

What am I doing wrong and where I can find the Txr>Col button in Zbrush 4?

thanks in advance for any help
    Francesco

That tutorial is probably for an older version of ZBrush. I've encountered a few things that have been changed in Z4, but people don't like to redo their tutorials for new versions - even some of Pixologic's own documentation is out of date in places.

Anyway... if you bring in a model that already has UVs applied (like an OBJ from Max/Maya) then on the Tool pallet, in the UV section the "Delete UV" button will be clickable. Don't click it, but it's an easy way to see if you have an active UV map for the tool. If it isn't you can click one of the buttons below to autogenerate a UV map (which unless you are mapping a plane or a sphere, but useless, but anyway). I went with the Uvs button to generate a spherical UV mapping.

On the left side of the user interface, click the texture button to pop out the texures fly-out. Click the Import button and select the texture you want to use. If you're working with an existing UV map you might find you need to flip the texture vertically - you can do that in the textures pallet. Now in the Tool pallet, in the Texture Map section, click the "New Txtr" button and select the texture you loaded. It should appear on your model in the 3d viewport.

Now you want to be able to paint. ZBrush uses a thing called Polypaint, in which instead of painting onto the pixels of a texture map you are painting onto the vertices of the model. If you have a low-res model you'll need to subdivide it several times to get the kind of detail you need. You do that in the Geometry section of the Tool pallet (or press Ctrl-D). if you want to start your painting based on an existing texture then do the above steps and then in the Polypaint section of the Tool pallet, pressed the "Colorize" button and then "Polypaint From Texture". This will initialize the vertices using the current texture and UV map.

Don't forget to turn the Texture off (or at least change it to a texture designed for use as a brush) on the left side before you start painting

When you're done painting you can create a new, better, UV Map, create a blank texture, and then in the "Texuture Map" section of the Tool pallet, hit the "New From Polypaint" button to store your polypainting work as a texture map that you can load into other software.

You'll have to play about a bit to get a feel for how things work in ZBrush because it is a bit weird for sure. If you initialize your polypaint from a texture and it looks all blury you need to subdivide your mesh more. If you select a new texture in the Texture Map section of the Tool pallet you will see that on your model instead of the polypaint - don't panic, the polypaint is still there - just hit the "Texture On" button and the polypaint will come back.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by rhm; 01-30-2011 at 09:19 AM.

To apply a texture map,

1. Go to the Texture Palette. (Thats the menu at the top of the screen)

2. Click Import. Navigate to your texture.

3. Now goto your tool. Draw it on the screen and go into Edit mode if you already havent.

4. In the Tool Palette, scroll down to Texture Section. Open it.

5. There should be a square bx with the words Texture Map below it. Click it.

6. You are now navigating all the textures that are currently loaded into the zbrush session. Amongst them will be the texture that you just imported.

Once selected you will be see it applied on the model.

Also in this section is the various Col > TxT, or Txt > Col etc options.
    Blog

insert witty comment here

Ok, thanks a lot for your detailed and useful reply!

Francesco