Marscaleb Guest

SolidWorks: How do I rename a part?

I have to rename several parts that I have created. I have already put these parts into assemblies and drawings.
    I need to rename them, particularly for how they appear in the Bill of Materials, and while I could change what is displayed in the bill of materials, I really just need to change the actual name of the part and have that change recognized in all the other assemblies and drawings that reference that part.

I know it's fairly simply, I just can't recall where to do it, and neither can my instructor.

Isn't it just a case of finding where you saved the part files on your drive/network and renaming them? Then when you re-open the assembly and drawings everything should update, including the BOMs. At least that's how it works in Inventor.

I don't think you want to rename the file itself... my guess is that if you do that, you might lose association of that file with all the assemblies that use it. (but I could be wrong on that)

I don't have SW in front of me now, but why wouldn't you just either open the part... or open an assembly that has all those parts, and rename then in the Assembly Tree (usually on the left hand side of the screen). You should be able to just double click on the name and rename them... or barring that, right click and go into properties or something like that. If you do it that way, I would assume the name gets trickled down to all other sub assemblies you have.

Without having the software open, I can't think of exactly how to do it, but that ^ sounds like the way it should be done.
    Let us know if it works.

Marscaleb Guest
    That's what i thought I would do, but it didn't work.
    There is actually no properties option on the root item itself. Didn't think to try changing it in the assembly tree, though...

...And i found an option to change the component name...
    ...and it squacked an error about needing to uncheck an option before that could work, or change the component's file name...
    ...and I tried changing the file name while the file was open and windows wouldn't let me....
    ...and after closing the files and renaming them, solidworks opened the drawings and assemblies and noticed that it could not find the original file, I told it to use the newly renamed file and it has no problems.

Wow, I honestly did not expect that. I guess I should have.
    I still think it should be possible to rename a part from the system menu, though.
    If anyone figures that one out, do tell.

Yeah... this is tricky. Whatever you do try to avoid using Windows Explorer as you will have undoubtedly found out!
    You should have under your Start Menu in Windows, in the Solidworks folder have something called "Solidworks Explorer".

That's the magic key, it has options to rename parts and update all associated parts, assemblies and drawings. Pretty sweet.
    I haven't used it myself so I can't really provide a step-by-step but it's intuitive enough so have a look around.

Keep us informed!

Marscaleb Guest
    Hmm, no, I don't see any "Solidworks Explorer," I'm afraid.

Which version of Solidworks do you have? Standard, professional or premium?

Marscaleb Guest
    It's a student or educational version. This at my tech school. I know there are some features that it doesn't have, like some libraries. I know that I don't have the tools to just pop in some stock screws into an assembly, or some tools to create gears for me, but everything I should really need to know before getting a job is supposed to be there.
    I guess this Solidworks explorer could be something I don't have. I never thought about that until now though.

In Windows Explorer, right-click a SolidWorks document and select > SolidWorks, Rename or Replace.

That's another possibility.