Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HDMI input through USB?

Does anyone know of a device that will allow me to input an HDMI source through a USB port? I want to use the display on my laptop with an Xbox 360. I don't have the cash(or space) for a new TV. Of course my laptop has a ton of output options but no video inputs. I'm just curious if what I'm trying to do is even possible.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Yeah, it's possible. Most HDMI to usb cable converters I've seen start at $80 ( You're Canadian, so it will cost more, no doubt ) and go up from there. What other sort of video ports and connectors do you have on your laptop? Might be another easier cheaper solution.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

I've got VGA and DVI out, but no in. I didn't think it would be as simple as a cable. I thought I'd need a TV tuner or something. Or at least some software to help communicate between the source and the laptop's graphics card.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

I doubt you can, at least not now. There seem to be some gimmicky items available on eBay but I wouldn't trust those.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...to+usb&x=0&y=0

I've heard unanimously good things about this site. Not sure I put in the right search criteria though. I don't know what you're looking for. But if it exists, this place has it and for the best price on the net.

Thanks for the link AA, that site has pretty much anything (I think Patrick Norton mentioned it on HDNation). The problem is the products available are for getting video out of the computer. I want to go in the other direction. It's beginning to look like I'll have to get a new TV/monitor.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Holm View Post
    Thanks for the link AA, that site has pretty much anything (I think Patrick Norton mentioned it on HDNation). The problem is the products available are for getting video out of the computer. I want to go in the other direction. It's beginning to look like I'll have to get a new TV/monitor.
    I couldn't afford a new tv and I was sick of playing my 360 on a 15 year old tv through svideo, so I bought a refurbished 24" dell HD monitor. It was $200. The 23" is $160. They've both got HDMI in. Especially if you're going to sit close it's not too small (especially considering you were going to play on a laptop screen). I sit about 2 feet away and it's awesome. I'm extremely happy with the purchase. As far as the refurb quality... the thing looked brand new. I couldn't believe how clean it was.

Actually it looks like their 20" monitor has HDMI as well. May not be full HD resolution though.

Anyway, check out the Dell S2009W, S2309W, and S2409W here
    http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/monito...fp&s=dfh&cs=22
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth

I bought the Microsoft VGA cable and I play my Xbox through my monitor. Do NOT get the Chinese knock-offs, the only ones that are properly shielded from interference are from MS. (correct me if I'm wrong) You'll have terrible ghosting if you get a bad cable.

I dunno. Just get a big LCD monitor or a CRT that's in good shape (much cheaper than a TV eh?). You're close to the screen so it doesn't need to be 50" to have a good gaming experience. Personally I love the set-up, it's hi-def and affordable.

Again I'm not sure if this applies directly to you Paul, but I just wanted to share.
    Last edited by aboveAverage; 08-31-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Think the bit rate of HDMI is a bit much for USB.
    You could always try one of these tho' http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/vide...es/m/16656015/

There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Current giveaway: Freelance Quixel suite (...working on details)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast