Ok, so, I'm still a noob here. Been around for a while and slowly getting my feet wet. I'm working in Max 5.1 because that's what I have. I've considered playing with it in Blender as well; but, I'll do a "we'll see" once I feel comfortable enough with Max to start toying in other apps.
That said, this project has been underway for the last 6 months off and on. Being new and having learned on my own without any structured course for quite a while, my
layout may be a tad messier than many are used to. I'm slowly working on shifting things and building a workflow that is more manageable while moving on with the build.
I started with the Bridge deck and have moved around a bit as Zak seems to do. I don't like things feeling stale so if I need to change up to keep moving, that's what I do.
I wasn't sure how much interest this would draw; but, for those that are interested, there are a lot of pics that I'll comment on and then I'll update from there.
Deck 1 - Bridge
There were a number of issues I ran into with setting this all up. One is that there are multiple competing sets of blueprints. One set measured x distance from bridge center to the back of the consoles, another would set the same distance from center to the outside of the inner gangway wall. I thought I'd go bald trying to reconcile these and just decided, heck with it. I'm an artist and license is required here.
You'll note that on the console overhead monitor decks, I didn't always use quads. These were almost literally the second thing I made with max. And as I was trying to get a grip on texturing before getting too far, I went ahead and started playing with some basic textures before I learned it's best to use quads. It's something I'll end up changing; but, I learned the lesson and moved on.
Progress on the turbolift for this deck. Again, there were some inconsistancies between different sets of blueprints.
Some license was involved. I'll note, too, that I couldn't get a clear sense that there were two sets of doors (one for the lift and one for the lift junction, from watching the segments in the original series. I presumed that this must be the case and thusly created two sets of doors. The inner set for the lift snugs into the side of the lift allowing it to move while they are closed. When opened at a lift junction, they lock the lift in place and prevent it from moving.
looking onto the bridge deck from inside the turbolift.
The viewscreen there has given me no small amount of fits.
It went through a number of changes before I gave it a rest. I found that smoothing groups kept wanting to round her in places it shouldn't and had to on my own discover the means to resolve this. Adding definition on corners did it and I wished I'd watched a Zak video or two before I started learning on my own.