File Open Error :S

Hey all.

Ive recently installed 3ds max 8 and im trying to load up some file ive been working on.
    these files im trying to open were created on a different machine...im not quite sure what the 3ds max version was on the different machine..i think it might've been 3ds max 2009 (thats all i can remember...).

Anyway, when i load up these files on 3ds max8, an error comes up saying:
    "Unknown class, no stand-in: SuperID =0xB60, ClassID =(0x4A0C66E1,0x1513165)"

I hope someone can provide some help for me, thanks

You can't directly open files created in a later version of Max with an earlier version of Max. They are forward computable however. More info here: http://wiki.cgsociety.org/index.php/...x_File_Formats

You could download the trial version of 2009 and export out what you need in a format readable by 8.

You can't import any files from newer versions of 3ds max onto older versions.
    But there is one way to do it without any external support..

If you can open that file in 3ds max 2009, save it as an .OBJ format.
    Now, go into your older version of 3ds max and simply import the file (.OBJ).

I've often wondered how a scene in a newer version of Max would 'work' if it were brought into an older version of Max via Hold/Fetch.

So, if you have Max 2009 and Max 8 on same machine, load scene into Max 2009, HOLD, then close 2009, go into Max 8, FETCH and see what happens...

There's a script that will take a scene in a new version of Max and write it out as a script that should be loadable with an old version of max. It's on www.scriptspot.com
    -SandmanNinja

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanNinja View Post

So, if you have Max 2009 and Max 8 on same machine, load scene into Max 2009, HOLD, then close 2009, go into Max 8, FETCH and see what happens...

There's a script that will take a scene in a new version of Max and write it out as a script that should be loadable with an old version of max. It's on www.scriptspot.com
    Nothing would happen. The hold/fetch does not run between versions, or instances of Max.

as for taking it back to older versions, you can do exports as .obj .fbx, or get bobo's file format that was mentioned above. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends on what you were doing.
    <NelsonLaQuet1> isnt denmar rambow and sunshine happy land?

Another option...assuming you have a copy of Max 2009 to load it in (or using the Max 2009 demo) is to use Deep Exploration (www.righthemisphere.com) which will actually install a plugin for each copy of Max you have.

Then, using DE you open the .max fil and it loads the .max file in the background and from there you should be able to save as to the lower Max version. It's really the same as saving as another format like .3ds but exporting directly from Max is far from a perfect system.

On that note, one has to wonder why so many 3D programs can't seem to export or import to common formats like 3ds, lwo, obj, etc. It's amazing that pretty much all programs seem to have a 50/50 shot at making a good export or properly importing common formats.
    Thank you,
    Matt Anderson, President
    The3dStudio.com, Inc.
    www.The3dStudio.com

Why do business with The3dStudio.com?
    We offer the best customer service and support you will ever experience. You won’t believe it until you experience it.

Get your free 3D blog: http://www.the3dstudio.com/blog_setting.aspx
    My Blog: http://www.fecald.com/
    Facebook: http://www.the3dstudio.com/facebook