Using SendKeys in a Console App

Hey all!

I'm writing a simple little app write now using a console, but for some reason Sendkeys doesn't want to work with it.

SendKeys cannot run inside this application because the application is not handling Windows messages. Either change the application to handle messages, or use the SendKeys.SendWait method.
    Does anyone know how i can fix this?

thx ahead of time,
    -Chris

I believe that SendKeys only work with windows applications. You can read about it in the MSDN Library

What do you need the app to do with the input? Have you tried with Console.ReadKey() or Console.ReadLine()?

Probably a gamepad key mapper. I was looking into that a few weeks back for my 360 controller. I had been using a trial of Pinnacle, but it ran out. So I decided to see about just writing my own small, simple hardcoded one. Ran into trouble trying to do it through XNA, heheh. Then I found JoyToKey and Xpadder. Xpadder is really nice, but doesn't work with particular anti-cheat software. So I was forced to use the somewhat less polished JoyToKey. Meh, it works just as well though.
    The spice must flow.

Hey thanks for the replies.

@CurlyB: ok, thanks. SendKeys(from my understanding) is different from the console commands because it actually simulates the user pressing the button without them actually doing it.

@Wren Akula: not exactly, thanks for the info though. I am actually making an app that will start itunes and make it play depending on some input, I just don't want to have to go through all the itunes sdk stuff.

Ah, cool. have you looked at PostMessage?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...44(VS.85).aspx

Not sure if that will do you any good since "the application is not handling Windows messages", but it's worth checking out.

Also, have you tried SendWait as suggested by the error message? I think the only difference is that it waits for the message to be processed.
    The spice must flow.

Out of interest whats receiving send keys are you sending messages to yourself? or to another app..

For me the SendWait worked to itself, or seemed to! If its another app, it could be you arent getting the window returned correctly
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"

Wren Akula: Looks like this might be worth taking a look at, I'll see if I can use it! Thanks!

LizRiley: I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, from my understanding the sendKey function just simulated someone pressing a key on the keyboard, I wasn't aware it took the window into account.

I don't know, maybe this is down the wrong path for this situation, I just kinda threw it out there as a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by gu1tarfreak View Post
    LizRiley: I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, from my understanding the sendKey function just simulated someone pressing a key on the keyboard, I wasn't aware it took the window into account.
    Sure it does. It sends to whatever it believes is the current window - if thats the console app it will whine, if the apps busy, it whines, because send expects a "I got it", where as the old win32 had a post which didnt care. If your app is pointing at the wrong window its sending random crap to the wrong app
    Delphi !ROCKS!
    Got a question? Read this first!!!
    "You gotta help us, Doc. We've tried nothin' and we're all out of ideas"