Thread: Tangent weight

Tangent weight

Hi.
    I'm folowing the maya fundamentals DVD, but I get an strange error when I try addin weight to tangents in the graph editor.

Notice that this usually works well. The problem is when I try editing the curves made by the manual stretch attribute.

(Project1 - 03 Animating the scene - video 25)

// Error: All of the animation curves are non-weighted. Unable to change the weight locked state.

The curve gets this strange hump that kind of destroys the animation. See attached image.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There is a lot of stuff I don’t know, but nothing I can’t learn.

Serpentbane

Looks like you've done your breaking of the tangents before freeing the tangent weight.

Select your curve and in the Graph Editor go to Curves>Weighted Tangents. It's normally best to break and free before manipulating the curves to avoid kinks like you have in your picture, but you should be able to iron it out using the tangents on the next keyframe.
    There is an exception to every rule, apart from this one.

Current giveaway: Freelance Quixel suite (...working on details)

Quote Originally Posted by faux View Post
    Looks like you've done your breaking of the tangents before freeing the tangent weight.

Select your curve and in the Graph Editor go to Curves>Weighted Tangents. It's normally best to break and free before manipulating the curves to avoid kinks like you have in your picture, but you should be able to iron it out using the tangents on the next keyframe.
    Ok, thnx.
    I used to have Weighted tangents selected under animation in the Preferences window so I did not have to pay attention to this, but for some reason it was not selected any more. Turning this option on after I made the curve did not help much.

It's working now.
    There is a lot of stuff I don’t know, but nothing I can’t learn.

Serpentbane