Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Downloading and installing the free Turbo Delphi Explorer Edition

I thought it would be a good idea to create a sticky here on how to download and install Turbo Delphi Explorer Edition, a free download available from Borland.

This is the exact same version used in the new 'Developer's Corner - Delphi' series, the first video of which is available free, with later videos available to Member Sponsors.

Head to http://www.turboexplorer.com/mirror and download and install the following in this order:
    1. Turbo Explorer prerequisites
    2. Turbo Delphi Explorer edition
    3. Turbo Explorer hotfix rollup (the first download listed on the page)

Turbo Explorer Prerequisites
    The Prerequisities can be downloaded as one zip file from the above site, but some of them you will probably already have. They are as follows:
    • Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0 SP1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework v1.1 SP1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework SDK v1.1
    • Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) v4.0 SP2
    • Microsoft Visual J# .NET v1.1 Redistributable

When you go to install Turbo Delphi, the setup is supposed to start Borland's bootstrap utility to check for these prerequisites before continuing, but it didn't in my case - meaning it can install without meeting these conditions. Run the 'prereqs.exe' in the Install directory wherever you extract the temporary files to, and you'll be asked if you want to install any prerequisites that aren't present already on your PC. If you've extracted the prereqs zip file to the same directory as you put the temporary setup files in, you should be able to install these as part of the Bootstrap Utility.

Turbo Delphi Explorer edition
    In order to run Turbo Delphi Explorer Edition itself, you need to head to http://trial.borland.com/survey.aspx?sid=620 to get a product key (you just need to answer a few quick questions first). Create yourself a BDN login with borland.com if you don't have one already (which is free).

You can install without having the product key in place, but you won't be able to actually use it until you've placed your product key text file in your Home directory. The home directory is outlined in the e-mail Borland will send you, but it will normally be 'C:\Documents and Settings\<username>' if you're using Windows 2000 or XP.

Turbo Explorer hotfix rollup
    Once you've installed Turbo Delphi Explorer Edition, you should install the hotfix rollup. This is just a rougly 8MB download, and the actual install of this hotfix rollup only takes a few seconds.

That's it, you'll be ready for some Delphi goodness!
    Last edited by benwatt; 02-11-2007 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Updated link to product key to new address

Grrrr

Do you install Turbo Delphi BEFORE you put the .txt file in your base directory, or does it matter? What I am asking is, when does Delphi check for the license? Before i got the .txt file, i loaded turbo delphi. It then toolk me through registration.exe, but i never got past the first step, because i didn't have a serial number, does this .txt file contain the serial number i need?

You can install Delphi before the key, yes. The txt file does contain the key, if the key isn't there it will pop up with the enter key things or whatever it does, once its(the key file) in the directory it will run.

Save the text file from the email and place it to the correct directory(it will tell you which directory in the email, just look up the Windows version you have)
    CodeGuru: DLL Tutorial For Beginners by me. Rated 4 1/2 out of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by NPJB
    benwatt, can you tell me if i can run it on Ubuntu, or it's a win2k\winXP
    Delphi is Windows only, but there is a version of Delphi for Linux, called Kylix. There hasn't been a new release though since 2002 and it's no longer supported. If you want to try it though there is a free Open Edition of it at http://www.borland.com/products/down...oad_kylix.html .

Otherwise, Free Pascal is about your only option to get something similar to Delphi on the Linux platform.

Opera problem.

I use Opera as standard brouwser, all goes well till the screen from Borland pop's up with the Install button.
    In my version of Opera it just will not start the installation...
    Work a round: You can start the Installer by going to de temp map and start the Install program by hand.
    C:/DOCUME~1/<user>/LOCALS~1/Temp/Turbo Delphi/I

Just so you now.

Question Delphi download problem

i watched the vtm for Delphi its realy good and very much clear i for how to download and install Delphi but the problem is during downloading it doesn't go more than 55% (try 3 times) : and also creat trouble for running system.i am using win-xp, why am i facing this ?

Try a different mirror to download from, why it sticks at 55 dont know, there are torrent feeds for them too.

Quote Originally Posted by ysangita
    i watched the vtm for Delphi its realy good and very much clear i for how to download and install Delphi but the problem is during downloading it doesn't go more than 55% (try 3 times) : and also creat trouble for running system.i am using win-xp, why am i facing this ?
    Also try to use a download manager that supports resume downloads, DownThemAll extension for Firefox for example

hi all,

I´m just trying to install Turbo Delphi and i´m facing the following problem:

when installing it asks me for SP 1 of Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework
    (and the other prerequisites.) ok;

Next prob. is that i can´t install those prerequisites if i´ve not got Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. installed.

but I´ve already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 earlier.

Why is the newer version of .NET Framework not accepted??

can someone enlight me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@D.P.
    hi all,

I´m just trying to install Turbo Delphi and i´m facing the following problem:

when installing it asks me for SP 1 of Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework
    (and the other prerequisites.) ok;

Next prob. is that i can´t install those prerequisites if i´ve not got Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1. installed.

but I´ve already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 earlier.

Why is the newer version of .NET Framework not accepted??

can someone enlight me?
    well you can say that Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is not the same program.
    If you had to install only one of them then it should be Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework since it's the one delphi turbo exprore require the most of those 2 versions.
    I know that I said that Microsoft .NET 1.1 Framework and Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is not the same program, but actualy they are, but they just think on there own and is not dependet on eachother, but still they works well together.
    I don't know the total detail on why there is 2 versions and they both have to be installed either than that I allready have told aboud.

Hope it's helps
    //Satis

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast